Home Care

Hi,

A few years ago my mother had a stroke, she's been in a home ever since she left hospital.

My Father has decided to down grade his house to a bungalow which is nearer to my mothers home. As the house is in both their names half of any money left from the sale will be placed in my mothers name. The local health service will then expect her to pay for home care until most of her money is gone. The money a side, this seems unfair, it was money that has only become available due to the sale of their house and she has paid her health insurance for over 50 years.
If I have a car accident I don't expect the insurance company to look at my bank account and then tell me I can afford to pay myself.
Its called national insurance ???
Is there way to reduce the bills my mother and father will face.

thanks
andy

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    The council would take your mother's half of the money anyway, when your father dies, so if he is happy to live in a house which he can buy with half of the total, then there doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Yes he will....but i think all the money can be used to buy the new house....so if they sell for 350 and buy for 200, that would leave 150, 75 would then go to my mum and 75 to my dad, only my mothers half would be assesed when paying for home care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure