Santander to close its 139 agencies

"Santander is to close all 139 of its agency outlets in rural and suburban areas between now and October..."
Read the full story:

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• I have just had a letter that two of my local agencies one in the town I live and one about 5miles away both of which I use frequently are closing sometime soon.Santander now in their wisdom recommend I use a main branch in a major city which not only will be 40+ mile round trip plus parking fees to use unacceptable as far as I am concerned!!!!! . On another note I am lucky as I can put cash and cheques in my local post office but any other transactions need to be done in Bristol ahhhhhhh not happy !!!
  • dr_adidas01
    dr_adidas01 Posts: 2,136 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    "Santander is to close all 139 of its agency outlets in rural and suburban areas between now and October..."
    Read the full story:

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Do any of you actually read the forum? a thread was started on this 4 days ago, MSE seems to be getting very late with news!!!!

Check this thread out!!!!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4899138
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • BMN
    BMN Posts: 330 Forumite
    honeybean wrote: »
    I have just had a letter that two of my local agencies one in the town I live and one about 5miles away both of which I use frequently are closing sometime soon.Santander now in their wisdom recommend I use a main branch in a major city which not only will be 40+ mile round trip plus parking fees to use unacceptable as far as I am concerned!!!!! . On another note I am lucky as I can put cash and cheques in my local post office but any other transactions need to be done in Bristol ahhhhhhh not happy !!!

Pay your cash and cheques in at the post office then.
    What else do you need a branch for?
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Well, the more customers diverted to the local Post Office will surely help the survival of that outlet
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do all Santander customers even have access to the Post Office?

I thought it was only ex-A&L accounts i.e. 09-01-3X sort codes
  • Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Do all Santander customers even have access to the Post Office?

I thought it was only ex-A&L accounts i.e. 09-01-3X sort codes

Well if they don't then the post office have been doing it illegally for me then as I pay cheques in via the post office as a branch is quite far away for me.... my sortcode is 09-01-2x
    Time is a path from the past to the future and back again. The present is the crossroads of both. :cool:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    They must have recently extended it to all Satan-der customers.
    I see that HSBC has been added too.
    Well if they don't then the post office have been doing it illegally for me then as I pay cheques in via the post office as a branch is quite far away for me.... my sortcode is 09-01-2x
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    I don't know if it's just coincidental timing, but Santander have just turned off the cash machines that they used to run out of an old branch near me (Kemptown, Brighton).
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • Ecoman
    Ecoman Posts: 18 Forumite
    Called in to my local agency yesterday and was chatting to the clerk about the closure. She said that almost all of her work since the letters went out has been to close customer's accounts. If this is replicated across the country then Santander will lose thousands of customers.
  • Ecoman wrote: »
    Called in to my local agency yesterday and was chatting to the clerk about the closure. She said that almost all of her work since the letters went out has been to close customer's accounts. If this is replicated across the country then Santander will lose thousands of customers.
    200,000 use the agencies. Most will stay with them.

The cost savings make any loss of business worthwhile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure