Unclaimed paypal payment - what can I do?

Dear all

On Tuesday of this week (26) I bid and paid instantly on an item. The seller only had one feedback but we all have to start somewhere so I wasn't unduly worried.

However, I've been checking every day since and although my paypal payment has left my account it has not yet been claimed by the seller, as I didn't pay by e-cheque I've assumed this is because part of the money used to pay for the item came from my back account as I didn't have enough money in my paypal account to pay for the item in full.

I've emailed the seller three times to explain that the money has left my account but as yet hasn't been claimed by them and please could they let me know if there is a problem their end but have had no response.

I'm usually one to get my knickers in a twist over things like this but a) I'm peeved because I paid instantly and b) I really need the item to come in the next week or so and could have bid and won on a similar item on at least 2 occassions since winning on this bid.

I've never had this happen before and wondered if anyone could advise? If I don't hear from them can I claim my money back myself or do I need to wait 7 days to open some kind of dispute? I'm always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt (I screwed up big time on my first ebay sale but got through it all with good feedback coz the buyer was lovely and I was open about the fact I'd screwed up!) but I really need this item (or a similar one) and could do with knowing what's going on.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• veruccasalt
    veruccasalt Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I once screwed up because I put the wrong email address in my listing. HTe buyer paid, but it didnt get to me. Fortunatley, the buyer was very sweet, reclaimed and paid again, but it did take a while to sort out.

Good luck!
    “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.” Charles M Schulz
  • Hatterz
    Hatterz Posts: 42 Forumite
    Hi, this happened to me once, I just cancelled the payment, was able to do this as they hadn't accepted the payment yet. Despite emailing them several times I never heard anything from them. My advice to you would be to go into your paypal account and see if you can cancel the payment, then buy it from someone else.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    They probably haven't set up their paypal account... or have given you the wrong address.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • newbie71_2
    newbie71_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    thanks for the advice - I never realised it could be their email address that was wrong. I'll give 'em another 24 hours and if I haven't heard anything will see if I cancel the payment myself and get on with bidding for another one!

Cheers everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport