We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooker Hood not working after 3 yrs and minimal use

Options
Hi, I bought a Bosch cooker hood from an online store for around 300 pounds, came with two years manufacturers warranty. Its been just over 3 years now and its not working properly - the fan won't turn off with the on/off switch and motor continues to run. It will eventually stop by itself but will also turn on again by itself too so I power it with the mains switch

Reason I didn't do extended warranty is because I hardly use the fan as I don't do much cooking at my own house.

Bosch have a call out charge of £90+ plus parts, so I called curry's who offer one fee of £100. He took details and said no, asif the motor was faulty, motor would cost £340, and too expensive for them to repair.

What would people advise? I don't want to pay more to repair it than what I paid for it. Plus it is a nice hood and being Bosch would've expected it to last longer :(
Could the sales of good act come in use here?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It certainly could.

Who was the retailer?

You will need to get (and pay for) an independent engineers report which will say that the fault is inherent (Curry's may do this for you for the £100 fee, but there's probably a cheaper option).

If the fault is inherent (i.e. has been present since manufacturer, and it was always going to fail before the end of it's expected life), you can go to the retailer, get a refund of the cost of the report and they will have to offer you a repair, refund or replacement.

Bear in mind, if they chose to offer a refund (as they might if it's an expensive repair), it can be partial, and reduced to reflect the use you have had of the machine, i.e. if it is expected to last 6 years, you may get £150 refund.
  • maryju
    maryju Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    OK, thanks for that. The retailer was Appliances Direct. I think its worth noting that its not a common model as I can't find it being sold anywhere else other than ebay at the moment.
    The model is DWK096651B.

I think I'll get an engineer down and ask for a report.
    Is there any point in contacting Bosch too or just deal with the retailer?

Thanks
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just deal with the retailer. You have tried with the manufacturer, but they are going to charge you. You have no contract with the manufacturer, and as such you cannot enforce any rights against them.

Only the retailer is obliged to act if there is an inherent fault, so stick with appliances direct. Have you been in touch with them yet? It may be worth speaking to them before you proceed with an engineers report, as they may remedy without one.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Options
    100% correct what the other person said, if you can prove that the fault is inherent then you can claim against the seller and they will usually offer a partial refund upon receipt(they tend to favour flogging it on again as described or for scrap etc to recoup some of their money).

I would advise though that if a fault report shows that it is not inherently faulty then you are completely liable for the cost of the fault report as well as the seller not being able to assist further.

Another alternative is to actually look at whether you can flog it on ebay/bootsale/as scrap, as 2nd hand and faulty (people do pick up such items to repair etc). You could possibly get 50-100 quid for it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport