Problem with Roof

Options
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum so apologies if it is.

We purchased a house from Taylor Wimpey in August 2011. We are just out of their warranty but are in year 3 which means the warranty is now with the NHBC.

2 weeks ago our end ridge tile came off and smashed onto the pavement below some 10ft away from the house. TW and the NHBC both say they won't cover storm damage but to be honest it wasn't that windy where we were. What we found next is quite alarming, the roof system that was installed is a dry verge system so there is no mortar all tiles are nailed onto a wooden batten, dry verge is installed this way to be weatherproof and to resist wind uplift. The tile that came off still had the nail attached in perfect condition which confirms that the nail could not have been in contact with the batten so did not conform to BS guidelines or the NHBC guidelines.

TW fobbed me off and the NHBC are pretty much doing the same, I also contacted the company that was sub-contracted to install the roof and they have not come back to me either.

The thing is surely someone is responsible for this with the house being so new? these roofs are supposed to be guaranteed for life but who is the guarantee with? I have also contacted about 6 or 7 local roofers who are just not coming round for some reason so now we have a roof that is open to the elements and no one to fix it and the house is only just over 2 years old!

Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family