elderly aunt.

lyndac40
lyndac40 Forumite Posts: 463
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 17 February 2014 at 8:24PM in Over 50s MoneySaving
Hi everyone this a follow up and another question about this post.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4823053

So the time has come and my Aunt has been in a nursing home since the 30th December. We had a meeting with the nursing home and social worker on Friday. She will defiantly staying there and My mum has been told she can now give up my aunt's sheltered housing accommodation.

So to the finance part of my question. Late last year my mum was advised to change the details on my aunt's bank accounts. To make it easier for my mum when she had to deal with my aunt's finance's. My aunt now had over £18 thousand in her bank accounts. My aunt's name is still on her bank accounts but the cards for them are now in my mum's name. My mum was told to take the money out to pay for my aunt's funeral which was discussed on my other post. So this has now taken the bank account back down to under £14 thousand.

My question is will the fact that my mum has her name tied to my aunt's bank account will this have any impact on my mum. Both her and my dad are pensioners and live off pension credits and DLA for my dad. Would the dwp or who ever deals with people of pension age see my mum as having this £18 thousand in her name because this would then take them over the threshold for them claiming any benefits.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Lynda xxx

Comments

• sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Forumite Posts: 2,741
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    You'd be better posting this on the benefits board for advice on how to deal with this. Having her name on the account is a potential problem for her benefits and whoever advised your mother to do this did her no favours. The assumption is always going to be that if someone's name is on the account then it's their money.

Does the account name make it clear that she is acting as PoA for your aunt? If not, then it should.

ETA, it wouldn't necessarily take them over the threshhold (though it might), the £16k threshhold is irrelevant for people getting guarantee pension credit.
  • lyndac40
    lyndac40 Forumite Posts: 463
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You'd be better posting this on the benefits board for advice on how to deal with this. Having her name on the account is a potential problem for her benefits and whoever advised your mother to do this did her no favours.My Mums name isn't acutely on the account only on the bank cards to make it easier for drawing money out. The assumption is always going to be that if someone's name is on the account then it's their money.

Does the account name make it clear that she is acting as PoA for your aunt? If not, then it should. Yes my mum has full PoA for my aunt.

ETA, it wouldn't necessarily take them over the threshhold (though it might), the £16k threshhold is irrelevant for people getting guarantee pension credit.

I will post on benefits page now thanks for your help so far.

Lynda xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 231.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.6K Life & Family
  • 245.1K Travel & Transport