should i cancel insurance

Options
Hi,

I was sold decreasing level term assurance with my mortgage in 2002, but think it may be quite expensive. It was only a top up on other life cover as i'd increased the mortgage so it just covered the increase - £50,000.

It has critical illness included and cost £18 ish per month.

I was thinking of cancelling it and just getting standard life cover which yould cost around £6 per month.

Before i don it i thought i would just check on here to see if i was doing the right thing or about to make a big mistake.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Nickynoo1
16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
01/08/17 £7643.69

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before i don it i thought i would just check on here to see if i was doing the right thing or about to make a big mistake.
    Just dont suffer a critical illness and you will be fine.

Claims rate for CI is only a little worse than life cover (1 in 5 men will die before retirement. 1 in 6 men will suffer a claimable CI event before retirement). So, the risk is up to you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nickynoo1
    Nickynoo1 Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whts the difference between level term assurance and mortgage life assurance?

Nickynoo1
    16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
    01/08/17 £7643.69
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    level term insurance remains the same for the life of the policy (ie you take out 100thou, at any point in that term that policy will be worth 100thou) and is generally more expensive, a mortgage protection policy decreases inline with the mortgage it covers (providing the rates don't change too much)

Hope this helps
    Becca
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family