The Great 'What do you regret skimping on?' Hunt Revisited

Options

Comments

• rallp54
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of tomatoes, but when I do, I want them to taste of tomatoes. The 'basics' ones don't. Has to be 'on the vine' and at room temperature, not straight out of the fridge.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheap iPad cover. Had it since September and its falling apart.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Ezmondino
    Options
    julie777 wrote: »

I bought the same one I think, it was awful, I only wanted it as an undercoat so didn't see the point of buying something expensive. Was a nightmare!

Yeah, me too. I bought the ASDA big white one to do the ceilings in patches when I moved house. Needed about 4 coats, may as well used water.
  • Goozelle
    Options
    Just had to replace the 'value' roof felt that ripped off the shed roof in the recent storms.
  • jaybizzl
    Options
    rallp54 wrote: »
    I don't eat a lot of tomatoes, but when I do, I want them to taste of tomatoes. The 'basics' ones don't. Has to be 'on the vine' and at room temperature, not straight out of the fridge.

Couldn't disagree more! The value/basics ranges are class 2 - this means they do not conform to a certain size and shape requirement, this has no impact on taste and in fact it is often better especially when it comes to Apples!

If everyone ate more seasonally instead of African or South American (asparagus anyone?) just because we fancied them, then we would all find that they have flavour.
  • mbrock
    Options
    I had to replace my 11-year-old Swedish washing machine with a "quality" German brand, as the Swedes stopped importing to the UK. The replacement lasted 3 years and I didn't bother to get it repaired as it always washed badly and took ages to go through a cycle. Luckily the Swedish machines were by then being imported under another brand name so I am now happy again.

I've winced a few times at the price of quality products but seldom regretted it in the long run - just make sure you are buying quality and not just a fancy brand name.
  • CazGreg
    CazGreg Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    Agree re bin bags and Fairy Liquid, definitely.

Cat food is a really important one (probably dog food too). It is totally false economy. You are setting yourself up for loads of vet bills later on. You can literally SEE the health and vitality of a cat change depending on what it is fed.
    Cheap food = poorly cats that die sooner and are miserable. Plus, the so-called 'expensive' foods are not actually much dearer when worked out pound for pound, as you feed less. My personal choice is James Wellbeloved.
    The people in my life: Betty Crocker, Mr. T and Gordon (of Gordon's gin) :T
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lot of us thinking along the same lines

Loo paper, kitchen towel, foil and cling film

Latter 2 I get from Lakeland, the quality is v. high

I hate cheap cold meat so splash out on Waitrose, the difference is amazing

Since I retired I stopped buying new clothes but have picked up some really good stuff from charity shops

I bought the cat litter already mentioned from Zooplus, wasn't impressed as it turns into a horrible mess like clay soil
  • pattafish
    Options
    In-laws Ercol 60 year old sideboard was transported from Kent to Yorkshire. It was partially wrapped as I had also requested to pay extra for the wrapping service. The couriers couldn't speak English, so I took a chance. The worst senario was the firm had insurance. I now have a £800 restoration bill to pay, which doesn't take into account the stress this has caused, the insurance firm wont accept liability, as it was wrapped and not inspected before transportation. Regrets- yes 800 of them.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    A Washing machine that cost under £200, as it broke down so often, it had to have the complete drum replaced twice, the pump replaced twice, the programmer replaced at least 3 times and various other minor repairs until just over a year after purchase the now defunct COMET finally wrote it off and gave me a full refund.

When I bought the replacement, I went much more upmarket, but bought one that was reduced by more than £150 and only cost me £249 and touch wood has never broken down in any way, more than 2 years later.

Cheap shoes, threw them into the nearest bin after the first wear, as they made my feet hurt in ways I cannot even describe.

Cheap toilet paper, foil, kitchen roll, washing up liquid and soap as they are useless and the worst kind of false economy

Lucky for me that after the advent of 99p shops and Poudland shops, I can buy branded products at low cost prices
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure