MSE News: Are you due an Aviva refund? Insurer correcting 'historical errors'

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
10 replies 7.3K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
"Hundreds of thousands of Aviva life insurance customers could be due a refund..."
Read the full story:

Are you due an Aviva refund? Insurer correcting 'historical errors'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    How mysterious...

Although I fail to see the point in an article where there's no action that can be taken as a result of being told that Aviva are refunding some customers for some unknown reason.

And the fact that there is a sub-heading entitled 'I think I'm affected. What can I do?', even though there is no way of knowing that you have been affected, is quite telling...
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a NU endowment ..hopefully this is "one of the products":rotfl:
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    We've had a few as from 2003 to 2007....
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • I Feel that all policies were affected and Aviva are just pulling wool over people's eyes, how can you have some policies affected and some not.:(
  • There appears to be a lot of misinformation surrounding the problems that Aviva has had on some of its older policies.

Whilst the press would have us believe that millions of policies are affected, Aviva would have us believe that less than 400k policies are affected.
    Whilst the press say that some of the worst affected are the NU/ CGU endowment policies, I have contacted Aviva myself as an endowment policy holder and been told categorically that my policy is not affected.

Whilst I do not have a particularly high opinion of the popular press and the articles I have seen are woolly enough to qualify for an EU subsidy, my past dealings with Aviva lead me to believe that the story as told to the press will turn out to be true. I suspect that the truth is that all policies from the NU/CGU are probably affected but it would cause huge damage to the company if they tried to deal with them all in a short time frame. So I suspect they have cooked up a closed door agreement with the FSA (as was) to try and spin this out over a couple of decades, along the lines of Equitable life.

If anybody would like to know more about the dubious dealings at Aviva you can take a look at the Norwich Union Policyholders Action Group forum , just search Google for NUPAG.

So if you have (or have had) a policy I suggest that you register a formal complaint with Aviva and make sure they provide a written response as I think this will run and run.
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Out of curiosity, has anyone heard/received any letters/refunds from them yet in regards of this matter?
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • SimonSaysSimonSays Forumite
    716 Posts
    di3004 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, has anyone heard/received any letters/refunds from them yet in regards of this matter?

You tried scamming for PPI and failed now you've moved on to try and screw Aviva over.
  • edited 16 June 2014 at 2:46PM
    imonlyhuman1imonlyhuman1 Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 16 June 2014 at 2:46PM
    Hi i took out a car loan back in september 2002 with welcome finance and have made a claim for ppi directly with them. They sent me a claim form out to fill in which i then mailed back to them, a few days later i received a letter saying FINAL RESPONSE claim rejected as it was outside the relevant time limits!
    They say they are not liable on or before 27 february 2003 but the insurance provider which is Aviva, so i have just rang Aviva and gave them my dates and account number of the insurance taken out and they are sending me a info pack out for the claim, does anybody know what will happen next or will they just try and fob me off!!??
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi i took out a car loan back in september 2002 with welcome finance and have made a claim for ppi directly with them. They sent me a claim form out to fill in which i then mailed back to them, a few days later i received a letter saying FINAL RESPONSE claim rejected as it was outside the relevant time limits!
    They say they are not liable on or before 27 february 2003 but the insurance provider which is Aviva, so i have just rang Aviva and gave them my dates and account number of the insurance taken out and they are sending me a info pack out for the claim, does anybody know what will happen next or will they just try and fob me off!!??

Your question has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

However, in brief, insurance was not regulated until jan 2005. So, a 27/02/03 sale is pre-regulation. In rare cases, the insurer becomes liable for pre-regulation sales. Although in most cases it does not. They wont fob you off. Once they have your complaint, they will check to see if they are liable or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides