How much is a fair amount to graze a horse?

Options
Generally the advice is 4 acres for a single horse and 1 extra acre per additional horse. This can be reduced if the horse is mainly stabled.
I think the only people who would be interested in renting your land would already have land nearby and looking for an extra acre or someone looking for a stable for winter or for an injured horse.
You would probably need to look into insuring the property in case the horse got injured due to a defect.
Car £1500
Parents £5000
Barclaycard £900.68
+ 127,000 Mortgage :eek:
all on my lonesome

Comments

• kickstart_3
    kickstart_3 Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you know anything about horses , i would say leave well alone. You only have an acre of land so its not really enough. Why not ask a local farmer to rent it for a few sheep ? Rent varies from region to region , but most horse owners like to have some facilities as well , eg , tack room which must be secure , storage for hay/straw etc and a sand school . I also find that most non-horsey people soon get fed up when they see what a mess a horse can make of the field.
  • louisdog
    louisdog Posts: 249 Forumite
    Options
    I think DIY livery costs around £40 a week but I think that might include hay and straw and stuff.

We moved to a place with an acre and a stable five years ago and we were thinking of letting it out but you don't get that much really, we thought we might only get £10 a month, so hardly worth the trouble. I was worried about the responsibility of someone else's livestock, what if they got ill or escaped or even died. It also would have meant we couldn't walk our dogs in the field or use it ourselves.

Our next door neighbour offered to graze his cattle in there odd weeks to keep the grass down for us.

In the end though we started keeping livestock! We thought about donkeys but ended up with a flock of pedigree sheep, we have also raised pigs. Great fun!

Maybe you can consider using it yourselves for something ... :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport