Direct Debit enquiries

Options
iAMaLONDONER
iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
edited 11 February 2014 at 9:22PM in Credit cards
If I make a DD for the minimum payment and I then make a payment equal to the Min payment manually (when the DD has been set up and confirmed on my statement of course) will a payment still be taken?

I ask as I have had CCs for nearly 2 years and made manual payments (always paid in full!) but I'm considering opening the Halifax Reward account which requires 2 DDs in order to earn £60/year.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends on your card. Some take it, some don't.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    Depends on your card. Some take it, some don't.

Oh ok, do you know about Capital One or Lloyds policies on this?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Look on the reverse of the statements - it will tell you there.

#Having said that why on earth would you want to pay the minimum payment manually when you have a d/d in place?
    By all means pay extra but after the d/d has gone through.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having said that why on earth would you want to pay the minimum payment manually when you have a d/d in place?
    When the debt is interest bearing, rather than on 0%. :)
  • iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    Look on the reverse of the statements - it will tell you there.

#Having said that why on earth would you want to pay the minimum payment manually when you have a d/d in place?
    By all means pay extra but after the d/d has gone through.

Ok, I will
    I'm not going to stop paying manually...I'm only setting up the DD because Halifax Reward requires it to get the £5 reward...
  • m00se1986
    Options
    Still not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve... are you trying to set up 2 Direct Debits but then not actually have them pay anything out (not sure why you want to make manual payments instead but I guess that's up to you!)? I believe 2 Direct Debits actually need to paid out from the account every month, not just be set up.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm only setting up the DD because Halifax Reward requires it to get the £5 reward...

For the avoidance of doubt - as it's not entirely clear if you wish the manual payment to suppress the DD minimum - the Reward requirement is that the DDs are actually invoked every month. Simply having a mandate in place or other than a monthly DD payment doesn't satisfy the T&Cs.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    For the avoidance of doubt - as it's not entirely clear if you wish the manual payment to suppress the DD minimum - the Reward requirement is that the DDs are actually invoked every month. Simply having a mandate in place or other than a monthly DD payment doesn't satisfy the T&Cs.

I haven't got the Halifax account yet and I don't want to use the DD till I have the Halifax account.. if you see what I mean?
  • cautiousjon
    Options
    I don't understand what you are trying to say / ask.

If you move to the Halifax Reward Current Account, you'll most likely be moving from another bank. When you move, you sign a form that requests that Halifax move your DDs from your previous bank account to your new Halifax account. The two DDs needed for the reward will presumably have already been set up on your previous account, so you'd just need to let Halifax move them over to your Halifax account. The DDs won't be taken from your Halifax account until the account is active.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    When the debt is interest bearing, rather than on 0%. :)
    You cropped the last sentence - pay more manually after the d/d has gone through - less hassle all round and you know where you stand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure