🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Buying a caravan which is now discounted

Options
mark_and_john
mark_and_john Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 8 February 2014 at 3:31PM in Going out deals
I would like to know what are my rights regarding the purchase of a new caravan I have paid a £500 deposit on a price of £25220 and due to pick it up and pay for it at the end of Feb. I have now noticed on their web site, they say that this 2014 caravan now has been reduced by £2425. Where do I stand.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £2425 less £500 is £1925, so if you lost your deposit would you still be better off?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure about rights, but have you asked them if they'll drop the price to what it is now so you're paying the lower price? If not you may find they're happy to drop it anyway if you ask nicely.

I assume you're buying from a company? Do they have any price matching type offers?

Perhaps if they do say no you could come to some sort of agreement over extras? Free/half price awning or something. Voucher for money off your next purchase from them.
  • mark_and_john
    Options
    Not sure about rights, but have you asked them if they'll drop the price to what it is now so you're paying the lower price? If not you may find they're happy to drop it anyway if you ask nicely.

I assume you're buying from a company? Do they have any price matching type offers?

Perhaps if they do say no you could come to some sort of agreement over extras? Free/half price awning or something. Voucher for money off your next purchase from them.

Thank you for getting back to me, I have already spent £4247 on extras with them which includes an awning. I have sent them an email re discount and wait their reply and they are a big caravan dealership.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would be all down to goodwill on their part.
    You have no rights whatsoever. Did you research the web site before you went ahead and bought it from them.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • pinkpig08
    pinkpig08 Posts: 2,829 Forumite
    Options
    Have you signed something confirming the price you will pay? If you look at it the other way, if the price had gone up by £2425 you wouldn't expect to pay the extra.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #817 £50 banked :)
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess it all depends on what you've signed. If you've committed to buy, it's probably down to goodwill...If you've just put down a holding deposit, you stand a chance of negotiating them down...
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Pity they didn't come back and inform us what happened. But they didn't on their other post either from six years back.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=9134069&highlight=#post9134069
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Pity they didn't come back and inform us what happened. But they didn't on their other post either from six years back.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=9134069&highlight=#post9134069
    Too bad that thread is closed or I would ask. :(
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business