Paypal - buyer protection

Options
I use paypal for buying and have had no probs so far (over 150 purchases).

However I am thinking of buying an expansive item (£1000+) from overseas and am a bit unsure of seller (has a f/back of 100+, but you know how it is...).

So question is - what is my 'protection' under Paypal assuming the following facts
1. buy through ebay (as opposed to off-ebay)
2. use paypal acct registered to the seller (via link on item on ebay)
3. I used a credit card to open my paypal account and to pay the balances etc

How long do I have to register a problem with paypal(as postage from overseas could be a few weeks?)
Am I protected since my cc is underpinning paypal - ie same as section 70(?) Consumer Protection act - 'credit card company jointly liable for any problems'

I think this would be a good answer to have in a dedicated sticky, or eBay FAQs area.

Comments

• mcwarre
    mcwarre Posts: 835 Forumite
    Options
    1. Very limited tbh. If it does go wrong paypal may find in your favour but you will only get the money back if they have left it in their paypal acct (not likely)
    2. Check whether they are verified (make sure your acct and address is verified)
    3. CC will protect you

Don't forget that import tax....
    Also they may have high f/b but what are the items they have sold? For example if they sell lots of piccies for 99p and all of a sudden start selling high value then the acct may be highjacked.

At this value I would be very, very, wary.....

Check http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/purchase-protection.html?ssPageName=bpptest
    or https://www.paypal.com/uk/eBay/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_pbp-info-outside
    "Success is not to be measured by the position someone has reached in life, but the obstacles he has overcome while trying to succeed." Booker T. Washington

The Official "Why does everyone have 'Official member of....club'?" which tend to be stupid/irrelevant Society. Member No 1 (I am aware of the irony btw)
  • Tojo_Ralph
    Tojo_Ralph Posts: 8,373 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The potential for being ripped off aside, If I was seriously considering spending £1,000+ on an item from overseas, (it would have to be a good saving) with the risk of being hammered for import duty hanging over my head, (assuming it is not an overly large item), I'd be going to collect. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • criminal_smile
    Options
    Just be wary with Section 75 - Joint liability for Ebay purchases using Paypal. CC companies have a habit of arguing these claims, on the basis that the contract they have is to make a payment available to Paypal, Which does of course happen. They then claim that they have completed their action, as have Paypal, so no liability for breach of contract.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    Tojo_Ralph wrote:
    .....I'd be going to collect. :)

It's in Australia, but even so....mmmmmmhhhhhhhhh

Now where's the Quantas website..

Tie me kangaroo down...
  • payless
    payless Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just sold something for £80 to a UK address ( 98%, 130 rating) My auction gives Buyer protection, but notice the paypoal receipt says
    "Seller Protection - Ineligible"

So I pay £3 extra in fees not to get any protection !
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will not be covered under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act because you will not be buying anything on credit!

Your credit card is simply used to fund your PayPal account. The money in your PayPal account is then used to purchase the item.

The Credit card company will not be a party to the transaction between you and the seller in any way whatsoever.
  • trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    Options
    Just ask yourself, how much you are willing to lose if it all goes, well belly up? Despite all these so called protection schemes, there's no guarentee you're covered. Ebay will do anything to get out of their own schemes.
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
  • Spikey_2
    Spikey_2 Posts: 14,119 Forumite
    Options
    Not worth the paper it's printed on or the time it takes to read the glowing crap that paypal/ebay write.

Spikey
    Use your judgement, and above all, be honest with yourself. :)
    I walk with the world & the world walks with me!
    I don't make bad choices!!! Other people just fail to see my GENIUS !!!! :D
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    Some people have reported success using credit card protection.

How about asking your credit card company to say if you will be protected or not and get it in writing.

I wouldn't buy it if I was you.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,266 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will not be covered under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act because you will not be buying anything on credit!

Your credit card is simply used to fund your PayPal account. The money in your PayPal account is then used to purchase the item.

The Credit card company will not be a party to the transaction between you and the seller in any way whatsoever.

Actually you are covered by the consumer credit act. The way I saw it explained in the financial mail was that you have protection because the credit card company pay paypal and that's what you claim against. Paypal are the link between the credit card and the receiver of the money so the credit card company reclaim from paypal. Sorry I can't expalin that better, the financial people explained it much better!

It is the same as things like worldpay (I think that's the one) when you buy from CD Wow an intermediatery takes the money and pays onto the seller. You claim against the intermediatery.

However for this to work you must make sure the payment is direct..so the paypal account needs to have a nil balance and the payment must be set up to come directly off the credit card and show 'paypal...J Smith' or whatever.

Going back to the OP though, I personally would be nervous of customs and VAT charges.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure