MSE News: London buses to stop taking cash this summer

Options

Comments

• iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    I don't know why people make it so hard. It is so easy to get an oyster card and once done equally easy to top it up online. I no longer live in London but visit a few times a year and use the tube and occasionally a bus and it all works with no problem at all.

With the addition of contactless cards which will become more common it will work for an even wider range of people and TfL will save much on the collection, distribution and security of the cash. Instead of sorting this out you will have people on here banging on about their inalienable right to pay(more) by cash, the iniquity of autotopup etc. All I can say is stay at home then!

What happened to empathy? Most people who pay by cash only because they have no other option.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What happened to empathy? Most people who pay by cash only because they have no other option.

Why would you have no option? No credit check for an oyster card, minimal deposit, much cheaper fares. Who are the people with no option? If, on the other hand you tell me some can't get contactless cards that's a different thing.
    If you still pay cash on the tube or bus you don't like your money much!
  • iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Why would you have no option? No credit check for an oyster card, minimal deposit, much cheaper fares. Who are the people with no option? If, on the other hand you tell me some can't get contactless cards that's a different thing.
    If you still pay cash on the tube or bus you don't like your money much!

It's nigh on impossible to get an oyster card at night time when tube stations(and most newsagents) are closed.

Never mind those who live outside Greater London but still rely on TfL buses (i.e 465,81,498,etc..)
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Since two thirds of the one per cent of 'cash users' apparently live in London (i.e. not tourists or other visitors), they must be extremely infrequent users in order to be prepared to pay the huge fare premium for not using Oyster-or too wealthy to care.
    Taking cash fares on public transport is an anachronism that has long been ended in most of Western Europe. It's also a major cause of delays.

Or people who are travelling for work and want a ticket and receipt so they can claim the fare back
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    Or people who are travelling for work and want a ticket and receipt so they can claim the fare back

Or a voucher for £1.99 for a big mac and chips!
  • Tuareg
    Tuareg Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Lara44 wrote: »
    TFL should exist to serve Londoners

Oh how I laughed at that!

Its what happens when you allow TFL to become an abusive monopoly.
  • Tuareg
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    *lose

some older cards have no deposit at all.

You used to get a free oyster card when buying a weekly or above travel card. I took the opportunity to top up with a free Oyster cards as it was obvious that some sort of deposit would have to be taken as it was too easy to go into debit and throw the card away and get a free new one.

I have "one or two" no-deposit unregistered Oyster cards for special occasions ;)
  • Tuareg
    Options
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    "London bus passengers will need to use an Oyster smartcard or contactless credit or debit card from this summer..."

What I find most interesting about this and other TFL schemes is that its all about saving money YET where are the customers getting the savings? on top of that we're getting a worse service.

As for the no cash I think its a terrible idea that TFL will force through because it can.

I and others will be forced to carry an Oyster Card on the off chance that we might need to use a bus. What happens if your card stops working? are you going to get left stranded it 2am? where can you top up at unsociable hours?

What happens to those with multiple Contactless cards? I've been charged on my Barclaycard when I intended to use my Oyster travel card.

There are NO benefits to the travelling public for this.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tuareg wrote: »
    What I find most interesting about this and other TFL schemes is that its all about saving money YET where are the customers getting the savings? on top of that we're getting a worse service.
    You do save, don't you, as the cash fare is a lot more than using a card?
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    You do save, don't you, as the cash fare is a lot more than using a card?

Not if you factor in the oyster deposit!(for a one-off single/return journey)

Without even mentioning that the cash fare being removed will probably allow TfL to raise the oyster fare at a faster rate than they would otherwise have been able to get away with
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure