PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I regularly eat a tomato pasta thing made with whatever veg I have handy, usually a courgette, a pepper, an onion and some frozen sweetcorn, cooked off, tin of value toms on top and simmered (seasoned obviously) then serve with rice or pasta or cous cous. Add chicken if feeling flush! Or chopped up sausages/burgers of you want meat in it.

I can spread this out over three meals just for me, so should stretch to four people with the additoin of maybe an extra courgette or other veg. Mushrooms would be nice
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lancashire dish for poor people (ie me) cook 1/2 lb of mince with 1 chopped onion and dash of worcester sauce, add 3 beef stock cubes and 2 to 3 pints of water, then 2/3 potatoes per person cut into chunks about the size of roast potatos, cook in huge pot for approx 40 mins, if you are feeling rich you can add a pastry lid and cook it in the oven for another 20 mins, if not serve with red cabbage (optional), fills you up, heats you up,costs very little

Elmer
  • xueta
    xueta Posts: 480 Forumite
    Options
    I grew my own butternut squash this year so this is a cheap recipe using my 'free' harvest. It's a cheat's recipe, as it's done on the hob for 10 minutes instead of an hour in a real tagine on charcoal ...

In a large pan or wok lightly brown a small, sliced red onion in some olive oil. Add the butternut squash which has been peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks. Season with salt and a pinch of ground cinnamon and turmeric (about 1/2 teaspoon of each). Add 1/2 cup of water, stir and cover. Continue cooking on a low heat for another 10-15 minutes until the chunks of butternut soften, stirring occasionally.

That's it ... serve on a bed of couscous. Very filling and entirely vegetarian!
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Packets of Pasta 'n Sauce (about 60p) are a good fallback when you are too tired or busy to cook a proper meal. Pad them out with a chunk of bread, and at least you've been fed!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• jazzyjustlaw
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Cheese Onion and Potato Pie

Mashed potato, grated cheese added + sweated onions. Mix all together, bake in oven (if using l/o cold mash) or grill until golden on top (if using freshly made mash). Serve with veggies.

Tomato and Onion Toad.
    Yorkshire pudding batter ... instead of traditional sausages, replace with tomatoes and onions - just cook those in the tin for 5 mins before adding the batter.

Leftovers Toad.
    Any scraps of leftover meat, chopped, proceed as above.

Thick, HM veg soup was a meal when I was growing up

What are sweated onions?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    What are sweated onions?

Just onions that have been fried forever until nice and soft :D

They dont sound very nice when described like that do they? :rotfl:
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Options
    Better than sweaty onions, which are onions that forgot to wash.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Tracey04
    Tracey04 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Options
    i thought £150 would be enough for 1 adult 2 children for the month I wanted it really to be lower than that, but spent £25 ( £10 of that goes to Mum for xmas shop) and going for more milk today. Its only the 2nd of May ! I haven't done a big shop yet nor done a menu plan. Carn't seem to get my head round where to start with it all, but dont want to leave it for another month to go by.

Please please help. thanks
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't panic. It's just a new challenge!!

Check out the meal for 2 for 50p thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=326929&highlight=meals
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Start off with a big inventory of what you have in- and then we can take it from there, you have spent 15 quid, what have you got to show for it, what are you making with what you bought
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills