PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheapest recipies.

Options

Comments

• johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    These are my "cheap meals" for weeks im feelin poor :rotfl: I cook for just me but have multiplied the quantities + costs by 4 for you and based them on tesco prices :)

Day 1 - Tomato pasta - serves 4

2 bag Value pasta - 19p a bag
    2 tins tomatoe puree - 19p a tin (142g)
    Pinch of Value herbs- say 1p

Total Cost 77p

I use 1/2 bag for a HUGE portion and 1/2 a tin for one person so you might get away with less quantitie depending how big a poriton and how strong a tomatoe taste you want. Could also add some onion if you liked and had some hangin around too add more flavour :confused:

Just cook the pasta and then stir in the tomatoe puree and herbs! Simple and filling! :)

Day 2 - Chicken, jacket tatas and sweetcorn - serves 4

Frozen Medium chicken up to 1.7kg - £1.98
    (go through them all the find the biggest one cos they vary from 1.4-1.7 for same price)
    4 Baking potatoes - 72p (OR 2.5kg bags are currently on bogof so 5kg for £1.49 and loads more potatoes!)
    Tin of sweetcorn - 19p

Total Cost £2.89

Cook chicken in slow cooker or roast - Depending on your portion sizes but try save some for next day!
    Jacket potatoes and sweetcorn - easy enough.

Day 3 - Sweet and sour chicken - serves 4

Chicken leftovers from yesterday
    Tin value sweet and sour sauce - 29p
    1/3 bag rice - 23p

Total 52p

Could bulk out with cheap veggies in a stir-fry way... 79p for value stir fry vegs! Even adding extra sauce for them too only brings total up to £1.60 for the 4 of you!

Day 4 - Takeaway style Ham Omellete - SERVES 4

Eggs - 6 value ones for 54p
    Touch milk - 5p
    Some onion - 5p?
    Ham -
    ( i use £1 for 4 slices from iceland but could use value stuff from tesco 40p for a huge pack)
    Marrowfat peas -14p (maybe 2 tins if u like lots)
    Pototoes to make home made chips
    - hopefully from 5kg bought the other day ;)

Approx £1.04 - £2.00 depending on stuff used.

Make the chips and cook marrowfat peas... put them with a ham omellete made with the eggs,milk ham and onion and it tastes as good as the ones from the local chippy - but they charge £3.50+ each portion :eek:

Thats all i can think of now and gotta go out! :rotfl: Will try and come back later with some more ideas. But up to now thats 4 days for maybe as little as £5.22 for big portions! Thats 32p per person per meal! :)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    No-one's mentioned corned beef hash? One tin cheapest corned beef (used to be 39p in Tesco, might be a bit more now), one small to medium onion (10p), either 1lb potatoes from a big (therefore economical) sack, or 3 tins economy everyday potatoes (sliced or chopped), or one whole pack Sainsbury economy instant mash (say 45p for the spuds), one tomato (sliced, to go on top), about 1oz grated cheese (also to go on top, after tomato), small qty oil to fry the onion.

Hardly need to post my recipe, as it is plain from the above. Should feed 4-5 quite comfortably, for around £1.40, i.e. 35p per serving.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• lindadykes
    Options
    Another cheap one using corned beef is a regional dish my mother always made when she was skint - and now I do the same. Incidently as a child I always indicated that this was my favourite meal!
    Pannakelty
    1 Tin Corned beef
    About 1lb potatoes
    An Onion
    8 tsp Bisto Gravy Powder
    Slice the onions, potatoes and corned beef, layer them in a casserole dish begining with 1/2 the corned beef. 1/2 the onion then 1/2 the potatoes. Repeat with the other half. Mix the Bisto with 1 1/2 pts of cold water and pour over the casserole. (You can use gravy granules, but if you do make them up into hot gravy first then pour over) Cover with a lid and place in a low to medium oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove the lid and return to the oven for another half an hour to brown the top layer of potatoes. The quantities and times are only approximate. If it seems to be drying out just add alittle extra boiling water. Delicious served with a chunk of stottie cake to mop up the gravy. (stottie cake by the way is flattish sort of bread, much loved here in the north)
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    2/3 sausage each
    tin of chopped toms
    tin of baked beans
    dash of worchester sauce

Cook sausage then bung it all in pan and heat. Makes a lovely casseroley dish.... usually serve it with mash. Very filling and cheap :)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Cheese Onion and Potato Pie

Mashed potato, grated cheese added + sweated onions. Mix all together, bake in oven (if using l/o cold mash) or grill until golden on top (if using freshly made mash). Serve with veggies.

Tomato and Onion Toad.
    Yorkshire pudding batter ... instead of traditional sausages, replace with tomatoes and onions - just cook those in the tin for 5 mins before adding the batter.

Leftovers Toad.
    Any scraps of leftover meat, chopped, proceed as above.

Thick, HM veg soup was a meal when I was growing up
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • quids_in_2
    Options
    sausage and baked bean casserole/ just like making spag bol only cheaper meat with beans. we have it sometimes with pasta or jacket spuds.

If doing a cottage pie, the most expencive item is mince meat. bulk up the meat with grated carrot, but the time its in gravy you hardly notice.

sometimes I use soya insted of mince for spag bol too
  • ti1980
    ti1980 Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    What shops can you get bulgar wheat from? Don't think I've ever seen it? Is it similar to cracked wheat?
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    ti1980 wrote:
    What shops can you get bulgar wheat from? Don't think I've ever seen it? Is it similar to cracked wheat?

Yes, it is cracked wheat.Most supermarkets sell it these days, if not, health food shops :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    I would say all our meals are made very cheaply and from scratch. We weekly have:

Shepards/Pie (lamb-65p,SPBeans-11p,onion-5p) 4 Portions £0.81p/20p each
    HM Toad In Hole-very cheap
    Chilli Con Carne (lamb-65p,onion5p,tin toms 11p, chili power 5p, K/beans11p)
    Roast Dinner-Cheap
    Lamb Chop, spuds & veg-quite cheap
    Sausage & Mash-Very Cheap
    Spag Bol-Very Cheap
    Stew-Cheap

Lots more but cant think..lol

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Austin_Allegro
    Options
    This weekend I realised I'm skint again (hence the reason for coming back after a bit of an absence). I had the following main meals to just use up stuff in my cupboard:

Rice+ Sainsbury's frozen veg +tinned tuna
    Pasta + bit of ham + garlic and cheese
    Rice + tuna + grated carrot

None of them cost more than about 30p to make I shouldn't think.

Don't forget cheapo puddings:

Rice pud and jam
    Tinned peaches and custard
    Yoghurt and blackberries (picked yourself)
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure