PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Get a good price

Options
i read somewhere online today that a first time buyer bought a house for 160k in June 2012. It had an asking price of 190k. It was on the market for three months.

do buyers get discounts like this in reality. 30k seems unreal - it is almost my entire deposit.

i sampled 100 properties that sold for around 160k in lincoln in 2012 on zoopla and most sold below the asking price (5%-10% below). Do houses sell for below the asking price at this level? I guess it takes a real good negotiator?

I realise that there is more demand now but a 30k discount seems ridiculous.

Comments

• tigsly
    tigsly Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends how over priced the house is to start with? And what 30k is in terms of %,

A house round here went on the market for 1.25 million, reduced to 1 mill - then to 950 and has finally SSTC at 850.. I'm going to have to wait a bit to see what the 'real' sold price was (last time it was purchased it was 600K.. and 'apparently' the owners have spent 200K doing it up - its very cream and white!)

so 30k of that house -would have been easy to get!
  • HelenRachel
    Options
    We are first time buyers. The house we are in the process of buying was on the market for £189,950. If there are no major unexpected problems with the survey and the sale goes through, we'll buy it for £170,000. Which is £20k of the asking price. I did try for 25k off butno joy! The house was over priced compared to those down the street and needs lots of work. It didnt take much negotiation. As a ftb your in a good position as no chain and can get the sale moving quick.
    November 2017 NSD 2/8
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Ours was on at £235k and we paid £210k. This is in the south east.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you get a good price?
    Been away for a while.
  • leccyblue
    leccyblue Posts: 127 Forumite
    edited 4 March 2014 at 2:30PM
    Options
    The problem here is that it's impossible to quantify the difference between the asking price and the sale price as 'discount', because there are far too many variables. Was it priced accurately in the first place, are there any issues with it, and are the vendors in a rush to move or will they sit tight until they get an offer they like?

It could be the case in your example, that they negotiated a 'discount' of £30k because the house was £30k overpriced in the first place. If it took 3 months to sell, it clearly wasn't a steal at £190k.

There are bargains to be had but I'd say on the whole these are due to a) requiring more work than the average person is prepared to do and b) taking advantage of the vendors position - i.e. needs to move fast, probate, repossession etc.
  • Paulaviki
    Paulaviki Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In June 2012 I can believe it as the market was much slower.

I live in the south east and right now most houses seem to be going to near to or sometimes over the asking price! So those sort of bargains are few and far between.
  • johnswife
    johnswife Posts: 1,745 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The house we currently want is on for £195K, we offered £178k yesterday which was rejected. We have just offered £182,500 and waiting for a response. We don't want to pay anymore than £185K.
    Necklace, £500, Marquee, Tickets Home Improv show, Patternity Tights.tickets to Cruise Show,kindle cover, 2 tickets Brisfest. Tin of personalised chocolates.Hawking DVD, McCain voucher, clay modelling set,Chocolate, Book,Raleigh 125th Book.
    tickets to Gadget show, Hotel Spa break for 2 + £300
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Probably more the case that it was overpriced to start with - or you get the occasional person who HAS to sell and will take a low offer in order to get the ball rolling. I dropped significantly to sell to an investor once as we'd found a (seemingly - another story lol) lovely house which also took an offer.

Maybe they had zero interest at £190k (three months is a fair time to be on at one price) and were about to drop the price anyway.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi
    When we brought our current house in 1997 it had originally been on the market for £189,995, they had dropped it to £175K and we brought it for £170k as she was desperate. When we moved in, it needed a lot more work than originally thought. We have done most of the work, except the kitchen. We are in the process of selling it now as we would like to move closer to my parents. We have lost money on the house and is currently on the market for just over £163k. We were valued by the EA £168K but after a few comments about the kitchen, we decided to reduce it by £5k. We were hoping for a quick 'ish sale as selling chain free. But after 2 months we have only had 3 viewings and that's it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure