New and kind of clueless

Options
2»

Comments

• iAMaLONDONER
    Options
    tab24 wrote: »
    The car was bought for me by my parents and as I'm disabled I can't get around that easily without it.
    Thanks for replying

Oh ok, I'm sorry to hear that. I assume you don't live in a big city like London?
  • Macca83_2
    Macca83_2 Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    Options
    eg let's say your account is £100 overdrawn and you don't have an agreed overdraft limit, and your DWP money is £100 a week. Your money hits the account, leaving you with a £0 and no money to spend that week - however, you can still make an arrangement with the bank to withdraw that £100 over the counter at a branch if not having access to the cash would cause you hardship.

Where are you getting your information from?
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    tab24 wrote: »
    Ive seen the banks cant charge if youre on dwp payments but does that only apply to bounced payments or all charges?

This is an internet myth. "Bank charges" are not "charges" (assignments) in the meaning of the law.
    The Government’s response

The purpose of the Social Security Administration Act 1992 Section 187 and section 45 of the Tax Credits Act 2002 is to prevent people’s benefit money being at risk by it being assigned over to a third party in settlement of a debt. It is not intended to prohibit the application of bank charges. Bank charges are in the nature of an expense, and are incurred by the holder of the account; tax credits and benefits are payable in order to help customers meet their expenses, and as such it is legitimate for banks to deduct charges from the balance of an account held in that bank, whether the money paid into the account comes from tax credits, benefits or other sources, such as earnings.

http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Benefits_and_the_Social_Security_Administration_Act
  • tab24
    Options
    Sorry I've not been around to reply.
    Yes I applied in branch with a current bank statement. I won't qualify for long though as ESA will go down after the contributory period.
    I also live in a small northern town so need to drive to the supermarket rather than shop local because of prices. I'd love to shop local but 2 bakeries and no green grocer doesn't make that easy lol
    Thank for all the help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport