Smashing it in 2014

I have been here before, and successfully paid off Capital One and Vanquis Credit cards. I managed to rebuild my (appalling) credit rating and get myself a 0% Barclaycard (a major breakthrough after YEARS of bad credit, high interest cards, baliffs, ccjs etc)
I now have an ok Credit Rating, and possess my BC, a Tesco CC, A Very account (£2200 available, no balance) a Littlewoods Account with a £5,900 limit and £461 balance) an Isme account with £1500 available and no balance, Simply Be with £1200 available and no balance. I also have a small balance on my tesco CC which I will prob transfer over to the BC (interest free) so its all in one place (and 0%)
Sooooo.... I have just emailed and closed the Very, Isme, Simply Be accounts, thus freeing me from almost £5000 available debt. Am I right in thinking this will work in my favour?
I have just joined the 1% challenge and am feeling very inspired to clear this lingering niggling debt. I have gone back to work after a few years of illness, variable Self Employed wages (anything from £2-£200 a week) and now have a regular SE income. There is absolutely no reason for me to be struggling with the wage I have coming in and I am sick of relying on my credit card for the last week of the month. I feel like it is time to act like a "grown up" and sort my finances out.
So far today I have made £30 on our local fb selling page and am slowly going through the house getting rid of bits and bobs toward my goal

So as of today my BC is £3407.92 and Littlewoods is £543.75
Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

£117/ £3951.67

Replies

• rising_from_the_ashesrising_from_the_ashes Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Best of luck with the debt busting - sounds like you've done really well so far :)

You've reminded me I've a Very account (opened & then never used :o) that I've been meaning to close for at least a year!

Will add to the ever growing to do list!!

Good luck with the house clearing - you're welcome here anytime!:rotfl:
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Thanks Rising! The accounts are now shut, and I very MSE-ly took my husband to the cash and carry with me today so he paid for the next 3 months or so supplies of our bulk stuff (cat food/litter/dog food/tins/rice/juices/cereals/laundry stuff etc) so that should cut down this months food shop.
    Ive set up a Standing Order to cover my 1% once a week and my challenge to myself is to try and match it so I *should* be clearing 2% a week.
    I am really enjoying the FB selling pages- much less hassle than fleabay and even managed to do a swap yesterday with someone for a piece of jewellery I really wanted- I swapped it for a jacket that no longer fits (gave up smoking last Jan, put on 1 1/2 stone) and 3 old perfumes that were just sitting in a drawer! happy days :)

I am going backwards shopping this eve to take back a few bits I bought that are still sat in the carrier so I will put that money toward to CC
    Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

£117/ £3951.67
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals