Credit card to pay tax bill

Hi, does anyone know if I pay my tax bill with a newly opened 0% credit card, after I have paid the transaction fee of 1.5% will I then get charged on my card as if it's a cash withdrawal or will the 0% interest stand? Thanks

Replies

• Klwjaew wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if I pay my tax bill with a newly opened 0% credit card, after I have paid the transaction fee of 1.5% will I then get charged on my card as if it's a cash withdrawal or will the 0% interest stand? Thanks

What's the 1.5% transaction charge?

If you mean the surcharge HMRC apply for paying your tax or related charges by credit card, I think it is only 1.4% :)

The credit card company should treat the transaction like an online purchase.
  • pjreadpjread Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm assuming it'd show as a purchase, but be good to hear confirmation from someone who's done it? I've paid mine already but may well want to stick it on a 0% card next year.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When I've paid mine with a personal CC (not interest free, for the airmiles), it's shown as a purchase.

CK
    💙💛 💔

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • DesGDesG Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I paid using a 0% purchases card, and it was treated as a purchase.
  • St8_2St8_2 Forumite
    154 Posts
    I can also confirm it's a purchase. I've been paying tax with a credit card for a few of years, taking advantage of the 0% deals. It's nice to spread the tax over the year instead of needing to lose a large lump from savings.
  • gwapenutgwapenut Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Yes, it's a purchase and it also qualifies for cashback. I was lucky enough for it to coincide with my 4% double cashback month on my (now defunct) High5 Barclaycard, so the handling fee was more than covered.

Amex not accepted.
  • gwapenutgwapenut Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    You can pay it with credit card but only do that if its the last option

I disagree, they should do it as a first option if the interest free period they describe is more than a year and you do not have > £10k-£15k savings.

For a fee of 1.5%, you should be able to earn more interest than that (especially in a NISA from July) and may even have a profitable re-stooze in a year's time.
  • You can pay it with credit card but only do that if its the last option
    Care to explain the thinking behind that?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals