Cancelling Virgin Phone - they dont supply at the new address

Options
I am moving my home to a new address next month. I am currently in contract with Virgin (Phone & broadband). Unfortunately they dont provide the service at the new address. When I spoke to them, they said that I have to pay the line rental for the rest of my contract even though I can't use their service.

Any negotiations were not fruitful. Do I have a chance to reduce the amount I pay? Anyone faced similar experience?

Thanks
I am neither a bull nor a bear. I am a FTB, looking for a HOME, not a financial investment!

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You will have to pay what you owe.

Bluntly, Virgin agreed to supply you at address 'A' and entered into a contract with you to do so. However, you moved the goalposts in the agreement by moving to address 'B'.

If they are not willing to reduce the amount owed as a gesture of goodwill then you're only option is to pay up. You could always try phoning them back and trying again though.

Unfortunately it's one of the issues that occurs with Virgin only covering about half the country. If you search this forum the issue seems to come up quite frequently.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised they did not offer to provide you with their National service (Tel & BB, no TV). By taking this, you can avoid the early termination fee.
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    I'm surprised they did not offer to provide you with their National service (Tel & BB, no TV). By taking this, you can avoid the early termination fee.

Virgin dont do a national service
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jb66 wrote: »
    Virgin dont do a national service

Yes they do , it's called Virgin National and is just a resold BT Wholesale product, to cover their non-cable areas.
    http://askus.virginmobile.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=National&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3499
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »

They stopped providing it to new non cable customers,and existing ones moving out of a cable area about 4 months ago.

" From the 1st of October we're no longer selling National Broadband to new or existing customers who move to an area outside our cable network. This is because the ADSL technology for our National services doesn't let us provide the broadband speeds our customers expect from us. From now on we'll be referring people who live off our cable network to our long standing partner Simplifydigital to help them find the best deal for their new property."

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-your-phone-line/Re-National-Broadband-no-longer-on-sale/td-p/2010128
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for that info, about time they updated their website then (see my link above).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    That's a major policy change - it at least provided a lower cost option than a cold Turkey departure. That said, if OFCOM manages to get rid of minimum term lock-ins then it'll all be academic.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    But do Virgin still do a landline only version of their National offering?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/2010128 suggests the ADSL broadband option was discontinued but does not mention landlines.

If so, that could be a workaround.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    But do Virgin still do a landline only version of their National offering?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/2010128 suggests the ADSL broadband option was discontinued but does not mention landlines.

If so, that could be a workaround.

No they dont do landline only. You get this response now if you put in a area they dont cover.

"Sorry, your home isn't in a Virgin Media area

We've checked your postcode and unfortunately we can't bring you any Virgin Broadband, TV or home phone services.

Here's the good news

You can still get a great broadband, TV and phone package with another provider. Our trusted partners Simplifydigital can help you find the best deal for you. They're a free, independent comparison service that can compare broadband, TV and phone deals available in your area - and they'll even help you get them installed quickly and easily.

Simply click the button and let Simplifydigital do the hard work for you."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport