We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Wanted - a car with high seating for a learner/new driver

2»

Comments

  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    At a Ford dealer, ask them to dial a Modeo seat up as high as it will go & give it a try?
    Stupendous boot space & loads of secondhands so spares/parts a doddle.

    Mondeo is a superb car. She can get in easily but has difficulty getting out. I feel the current version is too large for a learner unless she may go for a 54 plate etc
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    chrisw wrote: »
    Nissan Note 1.4 petrol 2006 to 2013 model. High up seating position, small dimensions but huge inside, pretty reliable and good value for money. Very popular for people with mobility problems.

    Thanks, she has looked at Note. Plenty available as ex-motability car.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • wazza
    wazza Posts: 2,595 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. Some few models which we haven't considered have been listed.

    In a way I believe the small models hold their value very well and that you can get a larger model for the same price. For example a mondeo for the price of a focus etc.

    She would like to get something medium size which is cheap to insure.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 12,325 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    So try a Mondeo estate (big!) then drop down to the hatchback (which whilst actually only being 3cm shorter "feels" radically smaller.)
    Insurance group 17 at 1.8L, & up from there, but if she wants a medium car, she'll not be looking for a 2litre engine?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,231 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    She may not want to be seen in a certain car but when the insurane want double for cars she will be seen in its a choice of pay up or wear sunglasses and a hat.

    A cars a car. The important thing is it starts and stops when required.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I've got some mobility issues - minimal strength in one hip and a pelvis which bounces apart whenever I move and can find it quite hard getting in and out of lower down on the ground cars... we have a Zafira I find quite easy to do so with, and an A-Class which I pretty much picked because of of the seating position.

    Used to have a Scenic which was quite high up as well and didn't have problems getting in and out of that. Zafira and Scenic were both fairly generous on the boot space (Zafira without the boot seats up though) - I had a very very large double pushchair that didn't fold down small at all that could be fitted in with no problems.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    wazza wrote: »
    Thanks, she has looked at Note. Plenty available as ex-motability car.

    Note is a good car but has a shocking turning circle. Still if she isn't used to anything better it'll be fine.

    Echo other sentiments though - as a new driver the most important thing is to find something that can be insured properly. Anything cool or funky has an appropriately cool and funky insurance cost. Plus, she is going to be learning to drive in it so steel wheels or something they don't mind kangarooing down the road, bouncing up kerbs etc is more important than street cred at this stage!

    She can get that when she gets her own motability car.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    In my experience the problem not the learner insurance its once they've past the test that it becomes expensive. Shell be looking at £1200+ once she passes.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 28 January 2014 at 9:03PM
    I have spinal problems and a Motability car, which is about to be replaced. It's a Focus, and I completely relate to the problems you describe. There are times when I really struggle to get out of it, the Mondeo recommender does not understand that a normal saloon/hatchback is just too low, with a low roof line and high sills, to make getting in or out comfortable. Raise the seat and the top door aperture can hit your head, because of the way we have to maneuver our disabled bodies. I have to physically lift my legs over the sills of the Focus.

    Before the Focus I had a C-Max, which was perfect. The actual body is not much higher off the floor, but the seats are higher and the sills are lower. I could not afford the deposit for a new shape C-Max 3 years ago, but I have saved up and have ordered a C-Max 2.0 TDi, having road tested it, both my disabled wife and I can get in and out with comfort. I also tried a B-Max, which was just as easy to get in and out of, but lacked boot space.

    EDIT: There is a Fund via Motability, to enable the fitting of a specially-adapted seat, which turns through 90 degrees and down, to make getting in and out easier. Ask at any Motability garage, or check the Motability website.

    My BIL has a Vauxhall Agila and also a disability scooter, which he can easily store in the back. I found that easy to get in and out of too. A Nissan Note, as previously said, a Seat Altea, there are many such cars with the combination of low floor/low sills/high roof line.

    One tip: ask at a Motability dealer for information about a local dealer (usually independent garages) which buy ex-Motability cars and resell them. You would stand more chance of getting the right car there.

    Good Luck!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Alye16
    Alye16 Posts: 281 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Having just insured my 9 year old focus 1.6 for my 18 year old as an additional driver, who has passed his test cost £1200. I recommend that you do some insurance quotes on the internet before buying a car. I had to change insurance company as my old company wouldn't even look at insuring him and we were turned down by quite a few companies or the quotes were approx. £3000-£5000.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.