Bank Charges Declined Refund!!

Hi there,
I have recently sent my bank a list of all charges from upto 6 years ago and have just received a phone call from somebody from the customer services dept saying they are refusing to refund any of my bank charges as they were all stated in the T's & C's!! Is this true ? Can they still decline giving refunds as the charges were in the T's & C 's? I did say to them that's fine I will be taking it further to the courts as it is still illegal, and the guy on the phone said that's fine as they will probably say the same as I have! Any advise is greatly appreciated. :mad:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bank Charges Declined Refund!!

Most are nowadays. Indeed, apart from financial hardship and goodwill payments (such as first time offenders), there has only been one known success since the court case and that was unique circumstances.
    have just received a phone call from somebody from the customer services dept saying they are refusing to refund any of my bank charges as they were all stated in the T's & C's!! Is this true ?

We were not privy to that call. you were. So, only you can tell us if the call was real or not. ;)
    Can they still decline giving refunds as the charges were in the T's & C 's?

Yes.
    I did say to them that's fine I will be taking it further to the courts as it is still illegal, and the guy on the phone said that's fine as they will probably say the same as I have!

Bank charges are not illegal. What makes you think they are?
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Time to give up. You are 5 years too late.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Hi there,
    I have recently sent my bank a list of all charges from upto 6 years ago and have just received a phone call from somebody from the customer services dept saying they are refusing to refund any of my bank charges as they were all stated in the T's & C's!! Is this true ? Can they still decline giving refunds as the charges were in the T's & C 's? I did say to them that's fine I will be taking it further to the courts as it is still illegal, and the guy on the phone said that's fine as they will probably say the same as I have! Any advise is greatly appreciated. :mad:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges :)

On what basis do you think the charges applied are illegal? Have you sought independent legal advice over that point?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure