We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Balance transfer query
SR1
Posts: 147 Forumite
in Credit cards
Just want to run something past you
I would like to make a purchase on my credit card then apply for a 0% card and balance transfer to new card. However I. Just a bit bothered I will be declined for new card after already making purchase on existing card( although I don't think I will ).
Can I apply for the card first, balance transfer the amount I want at the same time ( even though the balance won't be on my existing card at the time) then make the purchase with existing card straight after?
Thanks
I would like to make a purchase on my credit card then apply for a 0% card and balance transfer to new card. However I. Just a bit bothered I will be declined for new card after already making purchase on existing card( although I don't think I will ).
Can I apply for the card first, balance transfer the amount I want at the same time ( even though the balance won't be on my existing card at the time) then make the purchase with existing card straight after?
Thanks
0
Comments
-
Should your plan create a positive balance on the purchase card, how large will it be?
However, even if you wait until the new card application has been accepted - before making the purchase - you're still running a risk. Some people on here have reported getting a card, receiving the PIN, and then receiving a letter telling them the account has been closed...all within the space of a week!
Could you either:
1. Delay the purchase, and if so...
2. Get a 0% on purchases card instead?
Obviously if you need the extended 0% period a BT card offers then the above is a no-go.
Edited to add: Should you spend from a positive balance, the goods may not enjoy section 75 protection (because you were spending your own money, not the card provider's).0 -
Apply for the card first just in case you don't get it.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards