PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style daily Saturday 25 th january

Options
sistercas
sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
edited 25 January 2014 at 7:45AM in Old style MoneySaving
OS Daily Thread Friday 24th January
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning all

Off to work in a few minutes but only till half 10

Need to clean up when I get in

Butternut squash soup to make , picked up the squash in @ldi and made a risotto for tea last night and the remainder is for the soup

I was reading some auto correct fails on FB last I haven't laughed so much in ages , if you want a laugh have a look :D

Have a good weekend everyone xx

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning Sistercas & all who cross/follow
    DGD & hubby still asleep at the moment but it won't last long.
    Plans for today include playing with DGD til 10ish, then swapping her for another DGD for a couple of hours. I need to make some soup today too, broccoli & Stilton and some minestrone too, that should last me a week of lunches. I need to make a batch of ready meals for hubby's lunches too, but he can't decide what he wants yet.
    Apart from that, it's the usual round of washing, ironing & vacuuming, DW is already on as it's fairly quiet, WM can wait til DGD is awake.
    I slept from 8:30 last night 'til 6 this morning, not bad at all.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hugs to all those that are feeling sad/poorly x

Still dark, it's a bit misty and murky though, and it looks like we've had a frost too.

DH up and enjoying a peaceful cuppa. Boys still in their pits. I'm up, showered, dressed and eating brekkie whilst on here, then I'm going into work until 12 noon.

Dinner last night was easy dinner of chicken and bacon kievs, chips, beans and salad for the menfolk. Mushroom omlette and salad for me. I remembered to get the meat out last night so that's defrosted and ready with the veg that I've prepped this morning to go into the slow cooker, at least it'll all be cooked for later this evening when we get back from the caravan meeting and we won't be tempted to order expensive takeaway! I must remember to get the chicken out to defrost tonight ready for tomorrow's roast chicken lunch.

Was reasonably productive yesterday - got the remaining washing, drying and ironing done, dirty wash basket was empty - I'm sure it won't stay that way for long though. Got some baking done too, made 2 doz mince pies, 2 doz oat biscuits and a fruit cake - I haven't used that recipe before and the cake looks quite dry - I cooked it a lower temperature than in the recipe as my oven is rather hot but if it's too dry to eat as cake, we'll just have it as dessert with custard/cream/brandy sauce - but I won't be throwing it away - I'll doctor it a bit with some brandy too.

Made a couple of phone calls that will be of benefit to us too. Sounds really sad but just want to get to the 1st of the month and into February so I can then get a better idea of where we are financially and start my financial plan. I've started keeping a record of food/household spends - just like the GC on here but haven't joined up - I'm keeping a record in my desk diary, it's already made me stop and think before spending. I do allow myself a generous budget but will still struggle to stay within the budget. I did check through my storecupboard and freezers before writing the menu plan and shopping list this week though, so quite a bit of what we're having is from stores. I did manage to buy gammon steaks at A**i from their Super 6, they are not as big as I would usually buy - but they were such a good price - I wasn't going to go elsewhere and pay a lot more for a bit bigger ones. A**i was in a bit of a fix yesterday as one of the main fridges had broken down so a whole section was completely empty so couldn't get everything I wanted but luckily it was a section of mostly ready meals/pies etc and being OS I rarely buy that sort of thing! The shopping I did get in there only came to £66 - admittedly I hadn't got very much meat but I was really surprised - I did go elsewhere to get the bits I couldn't get in there and spend another £28 ish but that's still a better result than I was paying and I did buy several stock items - an 18 roll toilet roll on offer, 2 x big bags of quorn on offer - so realistically I could spread those costs over the next weeks and deduct them from the budget but won't as there's always items on offer that I buy for stocks etc.

Have a great Saturday everyone x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • forever_saving
    Options
    Good morning all,
    Pouring down with rain here at the moment.
    Hubby is in bed as he has work tonight. Washing and ironing to do. I hoovered through last night and everywhere is tidy. I did the food shopping when i left off work yesterday. Hopefully a fairly relaxing weekend.
    Spag bol for tea tonight.
    nmlc, i also keep a record of our spends. All of our direct debits are listed and any other money we spend. Quite scary how it all adds up sometimes.
    I hope everyone has a good day and hugs to those who need them.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

nmlc and FS - I must start to do this, I think I will be horrified!!
    HH - Wish I could have a sleep like that, well done!

Wet and windy here so washing will have to go on airers. Cleaned the kitchen last night, emptied DW this morning. Need to clean the bathrooms at some point today, going out to get bits of shopping first, hate going when it's busy.

Haggis for dinner tonight, will get a veggie one as it always tastes better. We will have mash and carrots/swede with it.

Not much else to report, have a good weekend all. Take care. XX
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Haggis for dinner tonight, will get a veggie one as it always tastes better.

Get thee behind me satan. Glad you have the choice. It's difficult to find decent haggis down here, but I found mac s's in an independent butcher. We're doing the Burn's night thing tonight. Minus the bagpipes (thankfully OH left them in Scotland) and whisky. Still, it'll be a taste of home.

Hope everyone has a good day. No rain here but a bit hazy. Not that I'll see much around walking the dog - tax returns loom for the rest of the week.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Essex-girl_2
    Essex-girl_2 Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning All

No rain here today but the forcast tomorrow is awful.

So today we are working in the garden, I started to clean our patio's as they are green, slimy and very slippery. Its hard work but makes you feel good iykwim :D it certainly is good working outside the house after being outside so long.

Hope to get this job done this morning then ironing this afternoon, got to pop out to drop DS & DNephew to the train station as they are off to see Southend play in the next round of the fa cup.

Popped up to see the people in my 2nd job yesterday and found out that I start work monday :j cant wait, its only going to be 2 days per week as I am training (doing a completely different job to last time) and going up to 5 days in March. I have really missed working outside the house for the last couple of months, working from home doesn't do me any good :o

Still have some steaks in the freezer which I picked up from M&S yellow stickered a while ago and will have those with actifry chips, peas mushrooms and onions.

Gonna go now and throw on some old clothes and get working.

Have a great day all.x
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

Essex-girl Good luck for monday :D

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I haven't read the thread properly for days, hope all is well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I steam cleaned the stairs carpet a couple of days ago, it almost looks like new now :D Just wish the others would stop dripping tea and coffee on it as they go up the stairs ggrrrr.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I had a carvery yesterday lunchtime, I couldn't move for the rest of the day :D I was going to just have meat, mash and peas but then I spied the huge yorkshires and roasties, and the carrots and leeks looked fab so I just loaded my plate up, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]E's baby can't decide whether to be born or not, labour keeps stopping and starting. Everything's fine, but she's tired and fed up now. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've put a couple of pallets in the chicken run, it's so muddy out there and I thought the girls would like a dry surface to stand on. They've investigated, had a good peck and walked over them, then they lost interest and have stayed in the mud :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have a weekend of yarn and hooks planned. I'll do a bit of housework as and when I can be bothered :D[/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Bright here atm good job as the wm will be earning its keep today ! OH is at the boot sale and dd is getting ready to see her dad.

I am going to continue painting today the wardrobe doors, I will hopefully get a coat on each of them.

I have just finished another great book 'Do the birds still sing in hell' its a true story about a prisoner of war in WW2 who escaped over 200 times to meet a girl he had fallen in love with, it was a brilliant read, Jackie O I think you would love it.

DD is off out tonight to see her boyf, so OH and I are having a cheese and wine party ! it will just be the two of us, so feel free to join us if you would like to, bring your own wine and cheese !!

Have good days all xx
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Slow start today, DH is at the gym. The radiator I bought is the wrong size (not my fault luckily, I bought the one I was told to, despite ringing him to say I thought it was the wrong one he he) so we have to take it back and get another.

Mum is still in hospital, she's been in since Tuesday night and has moved wards 3 times now and hospital once. I wouldn't mind if they actually did something but she generally just sits there until she picks up enough for them to discharge her.
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Essex girl good luck for Monday!

Snoozer hope your mum is feeling better soon.

Know what you all mean, myself and ds2 are already planning the garden. I'm sick of grey skies. No matter, were going to back lemon curd cake abd other snacks for pack lunches. Going to make some bread to.

I've simplified our lives.once.again and enjoying it so much more now :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure