Scared student to be!

Options
2»

Comments

• stuwilky
    stuwilky Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Clareo wrote:
    Strange, my Mum's friend did it and she said she had to apply to Student Loans, it was just a position for a couple of weeks....

Must have changed since the introduction of BACS!!

Ive got horrific memories of sitting for days on end searching through piles and piles of cheques!!
  • Clareo
    Clareo Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    stuwilky wrote:
    Must have changed since the introduction of BACS!!

Ive got horrific memories of sitting for days on end searching through piles and piles of cheques!!

That sounds like fun :D

It would probably be better if Uni staff did it, you should see the queues! All the staff tend to be about a hundred years old and only work once a year!! All set in their ways, my mum's friend regretted it big time I think!!

After freshers week they may see only a handful a day it is a total waste of money! Easy money mind, wouldn't mind doing it myself but I don't think they employ people under retirement age. :o
  • stuwilky
    stuwilky Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Must admit that it got very very boring after about, ooo, 15 minutes.

Then every so often there was the cheque that hadnt arrived, and the tears that went with it (or the shouting and ranting and raving!)

Direct payment is so much more civilized, and easier for everyone!
  • Clareo
    Clareo Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    stuwilky wrote:
    Must admit that it got very very boring after about, ooo, 15 minutes.

Then every so often there was the cheque that hadnt arrived, and the tears that went with it (or the shouting and ranting and raving!)

At least that would give some entertainment amongst the monotony! :D
    stuwilky wrote:
    Direct payment is so much more civilized, and easier for everyone!

Most definitely! Hopefully soon it will be that way for all Uni's, not that it matters to me, a poor third year approaching graduation soon having to enter the real world! :eek:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm about to show my age ... but in the good old days when students got GRANTS I had a temping job in a POLYTECHNIC. Now most of the grant cheques were dished out early in the term by the finance office, but once the rush had died down the dribs and drabs came to us to pick them up. The cheques were sorted by Local Education Authority, not by name of student.

And this poor chap kept coming in, and we kept denying his cheque had arrived, so he kept phoning the LEA, and they kept saying they had sent the cheque.

Finally, one day I went through ALL the cheques we had left, and guess what? His cheque had arrived, but instead of the name of the authority as we knew it appearing on the cheque, it had some weird historical name for the area, so we'd misfiled it! Poor chap: he was getting desperate, and I was very embarrassed. :o
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Haize
    Haize Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm, anyone happen to know how/when EPSRC PhD grants are given? From the fact that the only rules of starting are that it's on the 1st of a month, I'm wondering if it is monthly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure