Up to how much can I sell things on ebay without paying VAT?

Options
Hi,

I have just found a product which is importing certain health good from
Poland at relatively cheap price. However they want to charge me 22%
VAT on importing as an individual. They said that if I have EU
VAT number then they can issue a commercial invoice with 0% VAT.

But if am a VAT company then I have to pay 17.5 % VAT on all products
sold in UK.

The amount I want to import is for about £2000 and sell it in UK for
£2800 which would give 30% profit.

I would like to ask advice on the
following options:

1. is it worth it to pay the 22% VAT on import
or
2. incorporate company for about £40 and then dodge the 22% VAT and
pay 17.5% on all sold goods within UK.
or
3. I hear that no VAT can be charged within UK if one sells on ebay
for less than £8200 a year. Is this true?

or
4. is there another option

Thank YOu
Guiding friends to joys and happiness of good life
www . loveofgoodlife . org

Comments

• cosmokramer2004
    Options
    You could possibly ask the delivery company if they can provide a Polish address to ship from (PO). That would avoid taxes from the originating company - and depending on the size/value of your shipments you could avoid UK customs.

TBH that sounds pretty unlikely reading back.

I actually thought you had said Finland . Even so, lovely evening :) Good luck with that
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,266 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think you are going to get an easy answer here, VAT is extremely complicated and needs professional advice.

Vat status is on more than business registration, it depends on class of goods and turnover not just outgoings. It is entirely seperate to the Tax rates.

YOu might try asking your local VAT office, but they will probably just send you brochures.

Frankly though for such small amounts if might be better to remain a small trader as otherwise you will be paying an accountant to fill out VAT returns for you every quarter just to comply. Also it is swings and roundabouts, you buy VAT free but have to repay that VAT somewhere so would have to raise VAT invoices on your ebay auctins as of course without a fixed end price you can't know how much to charge your buyers in advance.

Incidentally, 30% profit before ebay charges is quite poor. Are you sure you can make a profit on this with or without VAT? Also, (and maybe others will correct me if I am wrong) your VAT status would not exempt you from certain other import duties, so make sure you work this out thoroughly before you go ahead, I am seriously worried about your profit margin.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Also have a look at the small buiness board.

100% profit is not unusal . Though turnover can is also a factor.

Have you done a proper plan, to cost it .... taking into account ebay fees, paypal, fees et al ?
  • criminal_smile
    Options
    VAT registration is not required until you have a turnover which exceeds £56,000 pa. At this point, you MUST register for VAT, but can do so at any time prior to this anyway.
    You do not need to register as a company with Companies House to do this. IMHO, it would be a waste of the £35.00 fee, as you may not survive. I would run for a while to ensure that the business was going to continue, and once you are sure, you could then think about registering. Remember you do not need to register as a sole trader. Might be worth you having a quick look at the small business board for more info as mah_jong said.
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure