Santander Charges

Options
Beki88
Beki88 Posts: 1,356 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hi, just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding Santander bank charges.
In November I gave a cheque out which wasn't cashed straight away. I made 2 payments on my debit card as the cheque hadn't been debited.
I checked my bank 2 days later to discover the cheque had come out the day after I made the two payments, however this put my account £49.80 overdrawn due to £15.54 and £37 payments (I know I shouldn't have spent the money but it was a lapse of judgement). I transferred £50 straight away to cover it. However I just checked my bank account now to find 3 charges:
£15 un-arranged over draft fee.
£25 paid transaction fee for the £37 payment.
£25 paid transaction fee for the £15.54 payment.
I am fuming that they are charging me that much when I wasn't even over drawn 48 hours! :mad:
Is there anything I can do about it?
Thanks in advance.

Everything will be ok in the end, and if it isn't ok then it isn't the end :)

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Beki88 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding Santander bank charges.
    In November I gave a cheque out which wasn't cashed straight away. I made 2 payments on my debit card as the cheque hadn't been debited.
    I checked my bank 2 days later to discover the cheque had come out the day after I made the two payments, however this put my account £49.80 overdrawn due to £15.54 and £37 payments (I know I shouldn't have spent the money but it was a lapse of judgement). I transferred £50 straight away to cover it. However I just checked my bank account now to find 3 charges:
    £15 un-arranged over draft fee.
    £25 paid transaction fee for the £37 payment.
    £25 paid transaction fee for the £15.54 payment.
    I am fuming that they are charging me that much when I wasn't even over drawn 48 hours! :mad:
    Is there anything I can do about it?
    Thanks in advance.

That doesn't sound right based on the information you provided. (assuming the debit card debits made before the cheque was debited did not put the account overdrawn)

Contact the bank and discuss :)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am fuming that they are charging me that much when I wasn't even over drawn 48 hours!

It is a black and white situation. If you cross the line you get charged. The amount doesnt matter (although some banks do operate a buffer)

Is this your first error with the bank? Most banks will refund if it is. You just need to ask and be apologetic and say you didnt realise and that you have never done it before etc.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Beki88
    Options
    Yes it's the first time, we only opened this joint account last year but have had my single account with them for a while. I'm going to go down and see them tomorrow as I feel ripped off, I'm sure it wouldn't have cost them £65 to pay the 2 amounts! I actually got my bank cards mixed up when I paid as they are both similar, and when I realised I thought it would be ok because the cheque wasn't out yet which as I say is a lapse in my judgement. Easy to see how so many people end up in a viscous cycle with bank charges! Thanks for the advice :)

• Beki88
    Options
    Just an update. They have given me the charges back as a gesture of good will. Apparently you can have one set of charges refunded unless it was their mistake. But I'm happy thanks for the advice :beer:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure