DVLA and Advantis credit

Options
Hi - wasn't sure where to post this but hopefully here is ok.
My daughters fianc! has received a letter today, addressed to his current address, from Advantis Credit saying they are looking for him and saying formerly of xyz address in regard to 'outstanding business with DVLA".
He has NO idea what this is about and has received NO letters from the DVLA about anything. This ' former address' mentioned on the letter - has hasn't lived there for several years. His van is taxed and insured and the DVLA have the correct current address on his driving licence and the log book for his van also has the correct current address.

I can't understand why he has had a letter about "outstanding business" with DVLA ( assume this is some sort of debt since Advantis are debt collection agency) and yet has never had ANY contact from DVLA who have his current address details.

He is wary about phoning Advantis when he doesn't know what this is about. Should he call DVLA first?
Any chance this is some sort of scam?. and what will happen if he just ignores the letter?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They may go away or they may not. I would be worried in case it was related to my driving licence and find out they have reviked it.

Had any points, Failed to notify them of selling a vehicle? No tax or insurance on a vehicle?

Its only a scam if he owes nothing and pays them. Find out if its really him or just someone with a similar name.

I would follow it up.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mum2g1b
    mum2g1b Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately he does have some points but the DVLA know this as they are on his licence. I've never had any points - assuming he was fined too would this have been paid to the DVLA?
    I think he would be better contacting DVLA before Advantis? Surely if DVLA want money they would have written to him before this? They have the correct current address cos of his driving licence etc.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    He should contact the DVLA.
    You've mentioned several times that the DVLA have his current address, but when did he leave the previous address and when did he notify the DVLA of that?
    If it's related to a vehicle that was registered in his name to the old address, then it's the vehicle, not his driving license, that is the key.
    It's possible they tried to contact him at the last address they had for the vehicle, and after a couple of years they gave up and handed the issue over to a debt collection agency, who have now tracked him down.

He needs to call the DVLA to find out.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just phone them and ask advantis what they want him for. Simples.

Not sure what the big deal is. Open a dialogue
  • jaymidlands
    Options
    and over 6 years statue barred
  • brassmonkey001
    Options
    Any update on this?
    I have had a letter from Adventis saying they want to contact me regarding a business matter.
    I phoned DVLA to try and find out what it was about but they just refer you to Adventis, so I phoned Adventis but got no joy there due to security questions - they asked for confirmation of a phone number that I couldn't confirm and said they didn't have my date of birth. So they are going to phone me on a telephone number that isn't mine at a time more convenient to me. Muppets.
    No-one would tell me what it was about.
    I have recently moved house, changed telephone number and also changed vehicle and renewed my driving licence as well. Everything is legal and above board to the best of my knowledge and I don't think I've incurred any speeding tickets or anything like that as far as I know. The only other thing is I recently had a note from DVLA saying I am no longer the registered keeper of a vehicle I sold 20 years ago so perhaps it's something to do with that?
    Anyway, I think I'm going to sit tight for now and see what happens and if they can get their acts together to tell me what it is about. I've tried contacting them and got nowhere. It's their turn now.
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    Write ti the goons at Advantis with the Prove It letter.

Stay off the phone.
  • brassmonkey001
    Options
    It's to to with a vehicle I sold back in April, a pickup which I sold to a farmer who has quite a few of them. DVLA still think I am the registered keeper and are fining me £80 for not taxing or SORNing it.
    I thought they'd done away with SORN?
    Unless I can come up with a confirmation from DVLA that I am no longer the registered keeper, Advantis say I am liable even though I sold the vehicle.
    I think I sent off my part of the V5 but I can't remember because two days after the truck went, my father had a massive heart attack and died a week later so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Clearly the new owner didn't send off his part.
    I'm inclined to tell them to impound and crush the vehicle if they can find it but it seems by not paying, I might be liable for a £1000 fine and a CCJ against me.
  • Robert_King
    Options
    OK, this is my fault and an expensive one too.
    I had recently moved house and forgotten to re-register to the new address.
    All correspondence went to the old address, except for Advantis, who seemed very capable of finding me, but not passing that information onto the DVLA.
    I also received a letter from Advantis and paid the fee, sum £80. Directly after, ringing the DVLA to pay the registration fee and register at the new address..
    Funny though, a couple of weeks later the car went through a camera and received a fine from the DVLA, but everything went to the old address again, so I have received a subsequent fine for late payment, no attendance to the court etc.
    So Advantis, do not give the DVLA any information, all they do is find where you live, tell you to ring the DVLA and take £80 for the pleasure.
    The moral of the story is, make sure that when you move, you re-register the car immediately.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's to to with a vehicle I sold back in April, a pickup which I sold to a farmer who has quite a few of them. DVLA still think I am the registered keeper and are fining me £80 for not taxing or SORNing it.

It's not up tp you to prove anything. If you posted the documents to DVLA the law assumes they were received. DVLA have loads of previous for losing mail and a court will accept your word that you posted it

And I'd edit your post if I were you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport