PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hey.... Lets keep Chickens..!

Options

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's actually illegal to feed kitchen scraps, however most backyard chicken keepers do it.
    If you're going to give them scraps, do it in the afternoon. That way they'll have had a decent amount of pellets. If you do it in the morning, they'll fill up on the scraps and not eat the pellets, which are formulated to give them everything they need nutritionally.

I haven't used Marriage's feed so can't comment on it. We use the Smallholder feed from Allen and Paige as it has no GM ingredients. It's good quality feed. We also buy corn mix from the same range.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    It's actually illegal to feed kitchen scraps, however most backyard chicken keepers do it.
    If you're going to give them scraps, do it in the afternoon. That way they'll have had a decent amount of pellets. If you do it in the morning, they'll fill up on the scraps and not eat the pellets, which are formulated to give them everything they need nutritionally.

I haven't used Marriage's feed so can't comment on it. We use the Smallholder feed from Allen and Paige as it has no GM ingredients. It's good quality feed. We also buy corn mix from the same range.

We eat predominantly vegan food (meat once a week, usually in a restaurant...though now we will have a nice trusted source of organic eggs :D ) and I think DEFRAs issue is meant to be that scraps come into contact with high levels of animal protein, but most of us with gardens will have sufficient scraps from there to never bring them into the kitchen anyway. In either case, the eggs are just for us, so hopefully no one will report me :rotfl:

Marriage's are GM free and organic - just found them retailing online for £14/20kg so I may have to nip back to the farmer and stock up!!

Thanks for the tip on feeding scraps in the afternoon. I will try that. Yesterday I pulled up a carrot from the garden and hung it up and they all went crazy and made the sweetest sounds. I sat out there for 10 minutes watching them decimate it. I love chickens! :T:T
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    Lol.

Ours love carrot peelings, corn on the cob and cherry tomatoes. You can also give them potato peelings, but they must be boiled first.

Good to know about Marriages. They do a feed with worming powder (Flubenvet) added too, which saves on having to mix it into the feed which is a pain in the !!!!! job! The chooks will need worming twice a year.
  • boredjellybean
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »

good god really!?!?! I had no idea - we used to feed ours left over veg, pasta, porridge etc & they loved it
  • MandM90
    Options
    Just did something totally not MSE. £900 later and the Omlet Cube with extended run and 2 more hens (Gingernut Ranger and Miss Pepperpot) will be arriving... I can't stop staring at the chickens! Think I'm in love!
  • Gigervamp
    Options
    good god really!?!?! I had no idea - we used to feed ours left over veg, pasta, porridge etc & they loved it

Yeah, but impossible to police with the hundreds of thousands of domestic chicken keepers.

Ours love porridge too in the colder months.
  • skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
    Mine still have porridge every morning once they have filled up with pellets. I mix in poultry spice and a little ground egg shell (I save all my washed shells and cook in the microwave for 5mins then crush them up).
    They also have grated carrot, chopped cucumber and scrap veg every day with a little bio yogurt. They love pasta and mash potato which they have as a treat. But I get lovely eggs.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been reading through your posts for the last couple of nights and have really enjoyed reading through them so much. I now have a few new ideas to think about too!! Great thread!!!

I started off with 4 rescue ducks from a family member who did not realise how big they would grow and then 12 ex-battery hens. Was meant to happen the other way around but was offered the ducks first!!

I have been keeping hens and ducks now for just over 4 years. I absolutely love them all. Sadly I have since lost all of my ex-battery hens due to old age (old age for ex-battery hens anyway). Before loosing all my ex-battery hens I got some more hens from a local farm. Many of those are still will me and running around the garden like complete and utter lunatics, they have so much energy. I have since rehomed some more hens and got some more ducks. I went from 4 ducks to now having 8 ducks and 18 hens and a rather handsome cockerel. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be looking after that many. They are such fun to be with and all with a personality of their own. Won't go in to all their names in this post as I will be sitting here all night if I do!! Just wanted to introduce myself on this lovely thread.

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • MandM90
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    I have been reading through your posts for the last couple of nights and have really enjoyed reading through them so much. I now have a few new ideas to think about too!! Great thread!!!

I started off with 4 rescue ducks from a family member who did not realise how big they would grow and then 12 ex-battery hens. Was meant to happen the other way around but was offered the ducks first!!

I have been keeping hens and ducks now for just over 4 years. I absolutely love them all. Sadly I have since lost all of my ex-battery hens due to old age (old age for ex-battery hens anyway). Before loosing all my ex-battery hens I got some more hens from a local farm. Many of those are still will me and running around the garden like complete and utter lunatics, they have so much energy. I have since rehomed some more hens and got some more ducks. I went from 4 ducks to now having 8 ducks and 18 hens and a rather handsome cockerel. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be looking after that many. They are such fun to be with and all with a personality of their own. Won't go in to all their names in this post as I will be sitting here all night if I do!! Just wanted to introduce myself on this lovely thread.

Edwink x

Sounds fab edwink!!! I'd love ducks, but simply don't have the space at the moment.

I have a Miss Pepperpot and a Gingernut Ranger being delivered this week coming week and I'm so excited!
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello MandM90

I bet you are excited!!! How lovely for you!!! Do you have any names for them yet???

Every time I know I have new hens coming I spend the week trying to think of names to call them and come up with quite a few. But, when the hens are finally here I name them as and when a name comes in to my head for them. I go by what they look like or how they behave.

On collecting our white star hen she literally spat at me, scratched me and was a nightmare to pick up. White stars are naturally skittish and slightly nervous anyway. I called her ASBO straight away!!! She has turned in to a lovely hen, still skittish but no more spitting and scratching thankfully.

I have an Indian Runner duck that stands very tall, as they do!!! She is clumsy on her feet. When I first saw her white bib and the way she waddled I instantly called her Pingui. That was the cartoon Penguin that could sing but could not dance. She is 3 1/2 years old now and still waddles the same way, bless!!

what day are you getting your new hens??

Edwink x
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure