PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hey.... Lets keep Chickens..!

Options

Comments

• suziemoon
    suziemoon Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Chickens have got to b the easiest pets to keep, we had 3 (they prefer to be in bigger groups) but our 3 were really friendly and thought of themselves as part of the family. One will be top dog and will pick on the other one (plucking feathers) but so long as you let them roam free the bullying won't be bad. They will eat anything including meat and chicken (we put the turkey carcass outside the back door on Christmas day, went to put it in the bin a little later and our girl had had a great time picking it clean!!) They love mealworm (you can get them dried for 99p from Home Bargains etc) always give them the best quality feed you can get and grit and you'll have fabulous eggs. They also love green veg especially cabbage and lettuce but lettuce not good for them. Enjoy Chickens are BRILLIANT pets :)
  • Eyeore
    Eyeore Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks Millicent!

Suziemoon - many thanks for the tips! we are starting small as never kept before but are really looking forward to welcoming the new members of the family, think my neighbour is just as excited!
    2019, move forward with positivity! I am the opposite of Eyeore :rotfl:
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had an email from the BHWT, they have ex enriched caged hens needing collecting and adopting on saturday in the Hampshire area. Those unhomed will be going to slaughter. If anyone can help, please.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • thedogsmum
    thedogsmum Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    https://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk

If you are, do have a look at this website. These are ex-commercial hens, be they from Enriched Cages, Barn or Free Range and are taken from farms just prior to slaughter. Fresh Start is also on Facebook, (there's a link from the website) where you can see pictures, comments, advice, etc., from people, like you! Oh, and there are numerous collection points, too, which is helpful.
  • Thriftkitten
    Thriftkitten Posts: 1,242 Forumite
    Options
    This is a great site if you have F/Book
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/danny.hardwick1/?fref=nf
    very informative and always people happy to help.
    Thriftkitten;)

Tesco saving stamps £13.00:T

Roadkill Rebel No.31 July2014 Treasure £1.03p :D
    August 2014
  • Eyeore
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Well the chooks have arrived! They are a little nervous still and it was a bit of a struggle to get them into their coop last night but managed in the end with a bit of help from a broom! Not very elegant but it worked, it is difficult to get in the run of the eglu!

Am so delighted with them, am already thinking they need more room so will have a think about that.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We lost some to a fox a couple of weeks ago. They were in a field and have been safe there for a couple of years, but the fox dug under the fencing, so we brought them down to the garden.
    We had a smallish coop already in the garden and they had to spend a couple of nights in that one until the big coop could be brought down. Trouble is, now that the big coop is in the garden, they still all squish up in the smaller one! Some of them have gone in the big coop to lay, but then go and sleep in the other one. Daft things. :)
  • Eyeore
    Options
    Sorry to hear that Gigervamp, bloomin foxes. We have put twelve pegs in the eglu skirt and logs on top of those so fingers crossed.

I put some mealworms out for the girls when I got home, they took no notice whatsoever, funny things, I think they may take a couple of days to settle in as they are only young although they did take themselves off to bed tonight so I was very impressed and told them so!
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What breed are your girls?
  • Eyeore
    edited 22 July 2014 at 9:12PM
    Options
    We have a Miss Pepperpot, rhode island red/Maran cross and a Gingenut Ranger which is a rhode island red/light Sussex cross. They are called Jennifer and Clarissa after the two fat ladies! Hope I don't sound too mad but am tickled pink with them :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family