Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.

Options

Comments

• mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening. So a NSD again today. Haven't bought lunch or coffee since I started the diary :T. This is some kind of record for me.

Had a bit of a wobble looking at my budget. A few big expenses still looming that could really set my progress back. I think because I'm paying off an overdraft, rather than a card, I only see any progress on payday. Then the debt goes up again all month! So today I did an eligibility check for a card that you can balance transfer into your account. However, the fee was going to be £180 for my entire O/D, and it's up for debate if that would end up cheaper than the interest on my (hopefully reducing) overdraft. But I realised that even before I applied I was thinking "well then I could fix this, or pay that". Ok so I wasn't planning on going shopping for shoes, it was much more about upcoming commitments; but it made me realise I need the restriction of trying to meet those commitments within my existing situation. Extending the line of credit wasn't going to work for my and I'd lose focus. So no cheating!

2 more items sold on eBay last night, another £7 profit if my postage was right. Going to have to really up the stakes to cover the next road tax though, so been scratching my head as to what else to sell. Free 5 day listing tomorrow so will put on a few more things, and relist the ones that are unsold up to now. It's weird how the things I am more fond of haven't sold, and the completely unwanted, unused, even sometimes broken stuff is selling. :cool:
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    Evening. Quiet day here. Posted my 2 eBay items so spent that, but have the paypal funds to offset it so it's kind of a NSD ;) I also listed a number of new things and delisted my unsold items using the free 5-day auction. Also got another 3 things on a FB page (no fees!) so hope they sell. Lunch is ready for tomorrow so hoping for another NSD. Still have £5 in my wallet so really hoping that can last until payday (7 more days).

• roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi.
    well done on your few ebay sales, you'll look at everythjng with new eyes now thinking I wonder who can buy this.
    Shame about the car but your NSD progress has been great.
    Also you having that credit realisation is a major achievement you were unablr to jusitify it and hopefully it will pay off sooner rather than later.
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    Evening,

Thanks Roxy, it has it's ups and downs. Pleased I think that I struck with the strategy!

Had a bit of a blip today. Realised I had forgotten to include the OD interest in my budget. So I'm now £40 poorer than I thought. Grrrr.

However another couple of microscopic fleabay sales banked. Still a few big holes in the budget. Currently feeling quite far off my target. But on the other hand I've taken big steps towards it, and the plan is keeping me focused.

Managed another NSD today. But I think I've lost £5. Took it out of my wallet as was going to a meeting that I thought I'd have to buy coffees for (external meeting). As it turned out, they bought the coffees but now can't find the fiver. Grrr.

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Found the £5. Used it to pay latest Fleabay postage. Might put the change in my sealed pot.

Trying to decide if I'm wrong keeping my car tax and other money in a separate account. Means I'm wracking up needless interest, I might be better just keeping it "virtually separate" ie via a spreadsheet? Thoughts, anyone?

• roxy7699
    roxy7699 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I keep all my bills in a seperate account. That way I know what the balance should always be wont dip into it at all and what I have left in my main account is what I have to work with. I dont think there is enough interest to be had. Its a peace of mind for me.
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    I know, but I am trying to pay off my overdraft, so taking money out and earning 0.5% on it isn't wise, logically. But it does make it obvious what I have set aside. That's why I can't decide! I am managing my finances very closely with a full-on spend diary, sum ifs, pivot tables, the lot, so it wouldn't be hard for me to manage. Just not sure if it would make me take the pressure off the gas?

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Still not sure what to do about the car tax fund. It would make sense to strip it into another account if I wasn't paying interest on my overdraft. But there is currently £178 in there (some of it was expenses I've set aside to pay back on the credit card). Sure, it's going to get paid out again at some point, so in the meantime it would technically be better against the overdraft. But it makes it harder to know my true balance. I might have to play around with my spreadsheet and add another IF statement. I :heart: a good spreadsheet :rotfl:

Got a bid on a fleabay item ending tomorrow that is on it's second listing, and it has 5 watchers. Glad I relisted, I think for these smaller things I might have a "2 listings then off to the charity shop" rule. Also 3 bids on a pair of shoes I'm selling, which are practically unworn. Feel a bit sad but they were a tiny bit too big anyway. I have another pair of shoes I'm swithering about. They are lovely - black patent high heel Mary Janes. I've worn them about twice. I am going to need new shoes for work soon, as my current ones have done about 4 years! They make an alarming creak and I'm convinced the heel is about to fall off them. So I'm trying to decide if the MJs are suitable for work. Looks wise they are, but they make my toes feel pinched. My job is desk based but obviously walking about with pinched toes isn't great. But financially it makes more sense to use them. I tend not to wear tights which doesn't help so might have to test it out one day and see how I get on.

Got to go to Sainsbobs today. Just sitting writing a shopping list just now, scratching my head for ideas of stuff I can take for lunch. A sandwich is my idea of punishment, soup I like but it doesn't fill me up. I've been taking leftovers (curries, pasta bakes, stews etc) but might have to start making some pasta salads, for the days when there are no leftovers.

3 days till payday. Other than the food shopping I've no spend planned, so if I can hold out and not buy lunch on Monday this will be a good result. Food, lunches, coffees and fuel are the only areas I have much flexibility with, so I need to restrict these spends as much as possible.

A tiny patch of blue sky has appeared. I feel like I should be outside enjoying the fact it's not raining :cool:. Hope everyone else is drying up - I'm feeling unbelievably sad for all the people who've been flooded down south.

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Shopping was £54. Pleased with that as it included 2 steaks for next Friday, 16-pack of toilet rolls, 2 yellow sticker organic chicken breasts for the freezer, as well as the food for the week. There were no cleaning products, tea, coffee, booze etc so it won't always be as low but keeping exactly to the list seems to be key - and we don't have steak every week! ;) There is no need to have a ton of store cupboard stuff, I reckon. The shops are only 5 miles away.

Nothing planned for tomorrow so going to make some scones I think. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

• mfmaybe
    Options
    What a nice day. We had blue skies nearly all day, it was bliss. Got some time out in the garden and spirits are revived.

Also sold one of my pricey items on fleabay last night, for a tidy £75 profit! Now have about £260 towards car tax, that'll pay both the 2 smaller ones and I have 6 months to save for the big one (£440). Though that's still over £70 a month, quite a tall order and I'm not sure how many more big things I can find.

Used collect+ for the first time today, it was easy and a lot cheaper than Royal Mail for the bigger stuff. I did however spend 79p today as I forgot to buy porridge oats yesterday. Still, it's cheaper than regular cereal!

Payday on Tuesday. Lunch ready for tomorrow so should grab a NSD. Then will have to focus on where I can cut corners for next month.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family