Best Time to Buy a New Car

ioscorpio
ioscorpio Posts: 2,360 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've been looking around for the last month or so trying to decide whether to lease or buy, if I buy is it better to wait until August for the new reg no or will there be better deals in July???

Comments

• nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ioscorpio wrote: »
    I've been looking around for the last month or so trying to decide whether to lease or buy, if I buy is it better to wait until August for the new reg no or will there be better deals in July???

Dealers will want to shift 07 plates before the 57 comes in. Generally for haggling purposes, the end of the month and end of the quarter are good times.
  • nullogik
    nullogik Posts: 467 Forumite
    Wait till the new-reg comes out.

Dealers will want to shift the stuff on old plates, so will offer healthy discounts on models in stock.
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • It depends on what you actually want to buy, manuf'rs run their pricing deals in calendar quarters, but stock is hard to find at the end of a quarter on popular derivatives and leadtimes are lengthening on a lot of popular models inc basics like diesel Focus.

Most brands have summer factory shutdowns which lengthen leadtimes too.

For instance, if you wanted a diesel Ford Galaxy, the next pricing period is from 1/7/07 to 30/7/07 (Ford due to release confirmation of bonuses this weekend) but due to demand factory orders are now estimated at late Sep/early Oct already...same with VW Beetle...current deals inc' a £500 bonus on some until 30th Sep' but order leadtimes are 14-16 weeks which takes you beyond that period.

What is it you need and we'll advise...don't expect to pick popular stock up off the shelf these days...manfur's and dealers hold less and less stock to keep costs down, so you may need to factory order..especially if you need extras.

We get around 30-40 requests a day on average of customers asking for quotes including factory options and requesting delivery within 2-4 wks...when at this time of year most are 8-12 weeks minimum build.

Our website has a page of Buying Tips and advice about best times to buy.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of DealDrivers. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to abuse@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • wookie_2
    wookie_2 Posts: 781 Forumite
    have you tried this site, via www.autotrader.co.uk

http://nvs.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search?hassearched=Y&modelexact=1&creator=&pagesize=20&prereg=Y&photo=1&make=VAUXHALL&model=ZAFIRA&min_pr=&max_pr=&search.x=22&search.y=6
    just bought a 07 plate £15500 zafria for £10000 via the above, had to go and collect it mind you but it was worth it, :D
  • bj-sailaway
    bj-sailaway Posts: 972 Forumite
    It depends on what you actually want to buy, manuf'rs run their pricing deals in calendar quarters, but stock is hard to find at the end of a quarter on popular derivatives and leadtimes are lengthening on a lot of popular models inc basics like diesel Focus.

Most brands have summer factory shutdowns which lengthen leadtimes too.

For instance, if you wanted a diesel Ford Galaxy, the next pricing period is from 1/7/07 to 30/7/07 (Ford due to release confirmation of bonuses this weekend) but due to demand factory orders are now estimated at late Sep/early Oct already...same with VW Beetle...current deals inc' a £500 bonus on some until 30th Sep' but order leadtimes are 14-16 weeks which takes you beyond that period.

What is it you need and we'll advise...don't expect to pick popular stock up off the shelf these days...manfur's and dealers hold less and less stock to keep costs down, so you may need to factory order..especially if you need extras.

We get around 30-40 requests a day on average of customers asking for quotes including factory options and requesting delivery within 2-4 wks...when at this time of year most are 8-12 weeks minimum build.

Our website has a page of Buying Tips and advice about best times to buy.

This is useful advice, thanks. Could you post, or pm me with the website address that has the buying tips. Many thanks. I want a basic Toyota Aygo, no finance, paying cash. Thanks again.
  • ioscorpio
    [SIZE=-1]www.drivethedeal.co.uk

Also check the Citroen C1 and Peugeot 107, the basic model of all 3 does not have remote central locking or electric windows
    [/SIZE]
  • oldbuffer
    oldbuffer Posts: 80 Forumite
    Just ordered a Peugeot 107 from Warners of Gloucester, they matched drivethedeal.com on price and quite happy to deliver in September for the new 57 reg.
  • ioscorpio
    I had a test drive at my local Peugeot dealer this week, who had just put up their prices from 1/7/07 I was looking at the Urban model, can't do without remote locking and electric windows. Pre price rise 5995, apres price rise 6495 + 350 for 5 door model, they said they would let me have it at the pre price rise cost, but I have not made my mind up yet if that's the car I want, as I prefer the lights on the C1 and I think th Aygo will hold it's value better. I'm also looking at the Panda Dynamic or the Panda Diesel
  • ioscorpio
    Are there any deals on the Fiat Grande Punto Stripe Limited Edition, on the Fiat website and at my local dealer Autoworld, it's £7795, but the local dealer did say he would do a deal to get my business, but I am going back to have a test drive, i won't start haggling on price until I decide if I want one or the Panda 4 x 4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure