Can I re claim charges from HSBC

Options
Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread, I am a bit upset and think I am sinking at the minute so I hope this make sense.

Next month HSBC will deduct £82.00 from me for going over my over draft this month. I have done it 4 times but it is between 6p and £15 before I have realised and transferred money over.

They will sometimes charge me £25 for going over even if it is only a few pence.

I have just called them because I am really concerned how I will manage with £82 being taken, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is all outlined in my account details. I was a little upset so after a while being on hold I was told they would take £25 off this. She told me if it was up to her the whole amount would be refunded but she cannot make this decision, I was not allowed to speak to the person who makes this decision. She gave me an email address I could use to speak to someone further.

I know somewhere it will be written down that this charges will happen. Is there anything I can do or is this just the way it is?

Many thanks once again,

Louise

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know somewhere it will be written down that this charges will happen. Is there anything I can do or is this just the way it is?

it is just the way it is. The banks publish their terms and you agree to them.

Banks generally refund on first time errors. However, they usually do not on repeat offenders. They will also consider options for those in financial hardship. Although you have to show them that you are in financial hardship. Whatever the case, you are reliant on their goodwill.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    louiserer wrote: »
    Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread, I am a bit upset and think I am sinking at the minute so I hope this make sense.

Next month HSBC will deduct £82.00 from me for going over my over draft this month. I have done it 4 times but it is between 6p and £15 before I have realised and transferred money over.

They will sometimes charge me £25 for going over even if it is only a few pence.

I have just called them because I am really concerned how I will manage with £82 being taken, I was told there was nothing they could do as this is all outlined in my account details. I was a little upset so after a while being on hold I was told they would take £25 off this. She told me if it was up to her the whole amount would be refunded but she cannot make this decision, I was not allowed to speak to the person who makes this decision. She gave me an email address I could use to speak to someone further.

Many thanks once again,

Louise

HSBC include their own 'fair fees policy' as part of the terms you agree to.

I suggest you point them to them if what you say is correct especially the following 2 terms of that policy:
    We won't charge you more in overdraft setup fees than the informal overdraft requested (e.g. a £15 overdraft will not cost you say, £50)

We won't charge you an overdraft setup fee for an informal overdraft request of £10 or less

If you still get no joy, make a formal complaint in writing following their complaints process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure