Nobilia Kitchens - Advice Please

Options
undrop79
undrop79 Posts: 42 Forumite
Evening all,

I'm in the process of buying a new kitchen for my house.

A local kitchen company has just started to stock the Nobilia range of kitchens and is recommending this for me.

Our kitchen will have around 20 units including 11 counter base units, 3 corner le-mans, 2 tall housing units for built-in ovens, 4 wall units with 2 of these housing 2 cooker hoods, a couple of doors for integrated appliances, the plinth, around 10x 150mm wide illuminated shelves for a pantry and accessories. This will be a complete fit-out for the kitchen with a breakfast counter, pantry (with the shelves) and new utility room.

For all of these units as described above I've been quoted £10k inc VAT. This doesn't include any appliances, sinks, work tops (I'll be buying these separately) or the installation.

First off, Does this sound like a lot? I've read a lot of reviews where others have referred to Nobilia as a very basic, entry level brand of German Kitchens which I'm not too happy about based on the sort of money I'm looking to spend just on the units and accessories.

How does Nobilia rank when compared to other brands (such as Hacker)?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Comments

• ryder72
    ryder72 Posts: 1,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nobilia, Wellmann, Pino are among the most basic German kitchens you can buy. While I think they are still better than the likes of Howdens, £10k is a LOT of money. You should be able to get yourself into the Hacker, Schuller, Pronorm, Nolte grade and perhaps even higher.

I would not spend that sort of money on Nobilia.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • RobotB
    RobotB Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am trying to decide between a Nobilia and a Hacker kitchen. The units are coming out at about the same price........... I like both the kitchen designers so am finding it very hard to choose. The previous person who replied seemed to think Hacker was better..... Thanks
  • undrop79
    undrop79 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I ended up going with Nobilia mainly because the price was better. I think you'll get different points of view from different kitchen fitters. If they are Hacker resellers, they will favour Hacker, if they are Nobilia resellers they will favour Nobilia. Having looked at several kitchens from both sides, I have to say they are both much of the same. They all have different price group levels for the finishes of the door panels (generally from price group 0 to price group 9) so if you compare the cheapest price group from each company, you should find that the quality doesn't really differ so don't let this be your deciding factor between the two brands. If comparing like-for-like, base your decision upon whichever kitchen designer is offering you a better deal or which one you think you gel with better.

Nobilia currently have a 6 week waiting time from the moment your kitchen order is placed so if Hacker's lead times are shorter, this could also help you decide.

I can't speak for Hacker on this bit as we didn't end up going for them but one thing I wasn't too happy about with Nobilia is that very simple filler panels which aren't their standard sizes are stupidly expensive. They were asking me for around £200 for 2 panels to go either side of a free standing washing machine in a mid-range price group utility room I was building which is rediculous when you consider that you're only ever going to see an 18mm x 850mm edge. On things like this I decided to get the kitchen fitter to make is own panels instead and then to paint them the same colour. I could understand if the whole panel was on show but 2 edges for £200? No chance. Anything which isn't standard panel size is a rip-off.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport