Should the UK ditch the pound and adopt the Euro ? Poll Discussion

Options

Comments

• ischo
    ischo Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    If Britain had the Euro we'd still be charged the same fee to withdraw from an ATM in Europe

There's actually a law in effect in the Eurozone that prohibits charging a different fee for ATM withdrawals at home an abroad. Just another one of those overly bureaucratic pieces of legislation that completely goes contrary to the requirements of ordinary people eh?
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gb57 wrote: »
    Reasons to stay out:

Prices in Eurozone countries rocketed immediately the Euro was introduced. (Even German & French friends who were pro-Euro said exactly that.)
    We lose any ability to control the UK's finances - one size fits all just does not work across so many countries.

Although prices in the Eurozone might still seem cheap to us, remember that people in Italy, Greece, France, etc. in general earn much lower salaries than we do, so things seem cheap to us because of our higher incomes.

Contrary to what others have said, you still have to pay bank charges between countries in the Eurozone. For example - in Germany they will not accept a cheque drawn in Euros on a (Euro) French bank account. Swapping money from a French bank to a German bank still incurs charges of the order that swapping money from a British bank would, despite the Eurozone thing.

We are way too deep into the EU, having lost the ability to make many of our own laws. I am not a xenophobe at all, but I just do not believe that a "United States of Europe" will work. Look at what happened to Yugoslavia - people are proud of their nationality and do not like having their national identity taken away. This new "constitution by another name" is reeling us in even more (Thanks, Tony).

The only people who seem to want the Euro and a United Europe seem to be those in big business, or those who see the desire to retain our own national identity and some sort of control over our own affairs (at least we can vote the blighters out) as being xenophobic. This is a nasty and unjust slur.

We should never go into the Euro, and we should disengage as much as possible from the EU.

Definitely no to the Euro, and definitely no to further integration with the money-wasting, time-wasting, corrupt Brussels gravy-train (it is a gravy-train only for those who work there).

What he said!

I hate the idea of having the euro, not least because it's got a stupid name. Still, I guess it's better than having a european dollar.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • Emmy
    Emmy Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    Options
    I for one want to keep the British pound given that we are in Britain ....... worst thing (well one of them) we did was putting that darn tunnel in we are an Island and I was happy for that ......... major issues like that (war, tunnel etc) shout go to a public vote so that the PM can do as the country wants to do instead of doing the paternalistic thing of "this is what is best for you, so this is what we are doing"

Anyway why am I thinking about that ??? its Sunday morning!!! :D
    :heartpuls Number 1 Aunty Gok fan :heartpuls
  • Elliesmum
    Elliesmum Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I want to keep the pound, it represents our identity and it controls our economy. I do not wish to see any british financial controls going over to europe.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • zulubabe
    zulubabe Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest the Euro, whilst used by so many countries is a very weak currency.
    You try going to a supermarket in say, Ireland (one of the countries that uses the Euro) and see what One Euro can buy you. Answer? Not a lot. Certainly a lot less than what One Pound can buy you in a Supermarket in the UK.
    You ask people in Euroland of their experiences since the introduction of the Euro and they will tell you how prices were bumped up during the conversion period (and since!) and their country became far a more expensive place to live in.
    I accept that it's useful not having to re-buy separate currency for when we holiday in Spain and Portugal. And we know of course that we can save any unused Euro currency to use again for our next venture (as opposed to having to exchange it back again).
    I was once a big fan of the Single Currency. Ten years ago I would have joined any rally supporting it. But my own (and my friends) experience of this currency have caused me to change my mind. I vote to keep the pound!
    2019 Wins: Feb: £10 Aldi Voucher, Frankie & Benny's meal for 2; May: Game from Maynards. June: 2x tickets to Foodies Festival July: £100 September: £30; October: £1000, Goldfinch Merch Pack

Thanks those who post Comps
  • DIRTY_CASH
    DIRTY_CASH Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    No No and umm No!

There is a good reason why Britain is not more closely connected with Europe and thats not just the channel.

Can you REALLY see all of the nations sat around a table and running a United States of Euroland successfully. Each nation will inevitably only be working towards a mean objective if it really benefits them.

Whats wrong with keeping Britain as it is? Why do we have to be connected and governed from Europe. There are too many cultural differences. Europes history of fighting and quarelling over things is well known stretching back centureis upon centuries.

Where will it stop - how many countries are part of Europe now and how many more or trying to join the gang. How far across the globe will Europe actually spread.

And God forbid we mention immigration - lest we say something offensive and upset some nationality or group. Alas it seems there doors are always open and more and more flood here on the promise of a home, handouts and work - only if they want to of course!

Britian's resources are finite and yet they are being stretched more and more with each coming month. Something has to give.
    Dirty Cash- DEBT BATTLER:mad:
  • mee_2
    mee_2 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    DIRTY_CASH wrote: »
    And God forbid we mention immigration - lest we say something offensive and upset some nationality or group. Alas it seems there doors are always open and more and more flood here on the promise of a home, handouts and work - only if they want to of course!

Slightly off the topic of the Euro, but just to correct some misconceptions:

1. Not all immigrants are either eastern european bricklayers and bartenders
    2. Not all immigrants are asylum seekers
    3. Non-EU immigrants are not entitled to ANY handouts apart from NHS healthcare
    4. Britain has a skills shortage, despite its "finite resources", so there is a real need to attract skilled migrants to this country.
    5. Skilled migrants, who pay their taxes and get very little directly from the state in return, are the ones who tend to bear the brunt of any anti-immigration sentiment or policy.
  • DIRTY_CASH
    DIRTY_CASH Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    mee wrote: »
    Slightly off the topic of the Euro, but just to correct some misconceptions:

1. Not all immigrants are either eastern european bricklayers and bartenders
    2. Not all immigrants are asylum seekers
    3. Non-EU immigrants are not entitled to ANY handouts apart from NHS healthcare
    4. Britain has a skills shortage, despite its "finite resources", so there is a real need to attract skilled migrants to this country.
    5. Skilled migrants, who pay their taxes and get very little directly from the state in return, are the ones who tend to bear the brunt of any anti-immigration sentiment or policy.

O.k Get your point - gone off the rails a bit there yet Immigration remains one of the most emotive topics of conversation for a reason. I don't disagree with the points you have made and I beleive I did not say anything to the contrary in my previous post. Its hard although to take this all in when I was almost told to my face that the reason so many eastern europeans come to Britain IS because of the handouts - to quote " Britain is easy no problem - spendy spendies"? HOWEVER I don't think we will ever have a good enough arguement to join Euro land.
    Dirty Cash- DEBT BATTLER:mad:
  • otherparty
    Options
    Saucepot wrote: »
    Lets leave this poor value for money club !

The UK would be better off out of the EU alltogether !

Well one could well argue that the EU would be better off without the UK and its constant opt-outs!!
  • otherparty
    Options
    zulubabe wrote: »
    To be honest the Euro, whilst used by so many countries is a very weak currency.
    You try going to a supermarket in say, Ireland (one of the countries that uses the Euro) and see what One Euro can buy you. Answer? Not a lot. Certainly a lot less than what One Pound can buy you in a Supermarket in the UK.

No offence, but this statement makes no sense whatsoever!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure