PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone keep chickens in an EGLU?

Options

Comments

• Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm keeping my eye on that sideboard..there were a few on freecycle but I missed out, dh it going to set about making something this weekend and he mentioned insulation so I think he's going for a chicken mansion, lol!

I am coveting this at the mo http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300156391464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020 but would have to wait for my numbers to come up to afford it (and the postage, tbh!). I'm going to show dh when he comes home and hope he can recreate it with what we have in our garage - can anyone see any problems with this design? It's difficult to know about flaws in the design until the chickens are here, but we can't get them til we have a home...bit like the chicken and the egg, lol! I even had to ask my dad how chickens sleep, whether it's in the nesting box or on a perch, etc, I hadn't thought of it really.

I think we may end up with more than the three chickens we were originally offered from Freecycle too, as someone else has offered us some chicks, which is a NIGHTMARE. How can anyone say no????!!!! :T

But waiting til we have got to grips with the big ones first before we say yes....

How's everyone else doing with their new chicken homes? I was horrified by the poster's experience of buying chickens as a newbie and ending up with cockerels! :eek:

I can tell you now that if that situation ever happens again, it will probably happen to me...stuff like that usually does!!! :rolleyes:

Luce
  • Poet_2
    Poet_2 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    well, it's up! We don't pick the girls up til next weekend and there's still bit and bobs to be done but the coop/run are very nice and solid so if anyone wanted to get one from the ebay link I posted, I'd recommend it. Go here to see pics of it so far.....

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=274793#274793
  • Poet_2
    Options
    Lucyeff wrote: »

it looks very nice but I read and have been advised also, that felt roofs can harbour red mite which is a dangerous parasite.
  • Lizbetty
    Options
    Your coop and run look absolutely fab! I'm sure they'll love it. It's a good idea to grow a bit of grass to put in there, I'll pinch that idea as ours'll be on patio/wood chippings.

I bet you can't wait til next weekend!!! DH is out and about at the mo buying shiplap and has decided it's cheaper to use the wood and stuff we have and build it from scratch. I'll see if I can put some pics on when he's done, though I doubt it'll be as posh as yours, Poet! : )
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Lucyeff wrote: »
    I think we may end up with more than the three chickens we were originally offered from Freecycle too, as someone else has offered us some chicks, which is a NIGHTMARE. How can anyone say no????!!!! :T

But waiting til we have got to grips with the big ones first before we say yes....

Loving the idea of a sideboard chook palace :T :T

Word of caution - chicks are a completely different proposition from fully grown hens. They need a heat lamp, different feed, loads of attention, and have a habit of dying unexpectedly. Unless you buy them ready sexed (which is done at about 1 day and no later, until they get adult plumage/wattling) you risk getting coquerells, too.

They're a great thing to do when you have some experience, but I'd agree that you're best to get to grips with hens first :beer:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lucyeff

what is your hubby insulating his chicken coop with? the reason i am asking is that i am currently building a coop- from scratch ie no plans etc. with assortments which have been donated to me. it has cost me NOTHING and so i have lost nothing. the interior is being lined with an animal friendly rubber for easy cleaning. there will be no wood exposed on the interior. however in the middle cavity wall i would like to put in some insulation maybe if i could scrounge some loft insulation then that might do.

i was pleased today that my friends hubby came round today and he's a carpenter. he was very impressed with my construction and offered no criticism - i'm borrowing him one night this week to help me put on my pitched roof.

the wood came from the local wood merchants (in their scrap bin), and they gave me a box of assorted screws and nails, that had obviously burst open at some point.
    i was given a sheet of exterior ply, and had it delivered to my home for NOTHING - no money changing hands etc.

when i went into the merchants i told them i was a woman on a mission to make a chicken coop, i think they felt sorry for me!!!
    Give blood - its free
  • Lizbetty
    Options
    :confused:
    fsdss wrote: »
    lucyeff

what is your hubby insulating his chicken coop with? the reason i am asking is that i am currently building a coop- from scratch ie no plans etc. with assortments which have been donated to me. it has cost me NOTHING and so i have lost nothing. the interior is being lined with an animal friendly rubber for easy cleaning. there will be no wood exposed on the interior. however in the middle cavity wall i would like to put in some insulation maybe if i could scrounge some loft insulation then that might do.

I think he's using loft insulation leftovers from when he put mum and dads rubber roof on. I'd forgotten that they have a bit of rubber left over, fingers crossed it's enough for the roof.

I was worried about it being too warm for them, it'll be quite big but I imagine it'd get quite stuffy what with feathers etc. What do you think? I read on this thread about draft prevention, but am wondering how much ventilation to allow?
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    We keep our hens in a wooden coop - sort of like a 5'x3' shed. They have a window at the top with mesh across and a pop hole that is closed at night. The only insulation is the hemcore (like wood shavings) on the floor. I read up a lot before I got chickens but I don't ever remember reading that you should insulate a coop. I'm not saying you shouldn't but it's new to me. Even when we had our featherless ex-batteries we only put extra bedding on the floor when it was cold.
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    We keep our hens in a wooden coop - sort of like a 5'x3' shed. They have a window at the top with mesh across and a pop hole that is closed at night. The only insulation is the hemcore (like wood shavings) on the floor. I read up a lot before I got chickens but I don't ever remember reading that you should insulate a coop. I'm not saying you shouldn't but it's new to me. Even when we had our featherless ex-batteries we only put extra bedding on the floor when it was cold.

i have about a 2 inch internal space within the layers of the wood, and i just thought that i might as well insulate them!!!!, my draught hole will be about 2 inches squared and made to look like a window with shutters on the outside.
    Give blood - its free
  • Poet_2
    Options
    mine isn't insulated, if you insulate it with cavity walls etc you're just creating a prefect environment for red mite (which, if left untreated, can kill your hens) to hide and it will difficult to clean- wouldn't think insulation is needed or a good idea to be honest. Chickens come with their own insulation, I think they're called feathers ;)

Just make sure your coop is draft free, it needs a bit of ventilation, some holes near the roof for example but make sure there are no gaps btwn the panels of wood etc and it should be fine.

Maybe ask some of the hen experts over at the omlet forum and see what they think...

We're using hemcore in our coop and run too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport