Student - existing credit cards/0% expiring

Options
Hi,

I am a student, in my final year. I intend to be employed by September 2014.
I started with and have accrued debt during my course and now have about £2900 on a MBNA credit card which was 0%.
Thats now running out; £1164 is incurring interest now (unsure of the rate exactly). I need to MOT the car and spend about £100 on the car which will have to go on a card...
Ive got about £150 on a Tesco card which isnt 0% from the last time the car needed tyres, thats incurring interest but pennies...

I don't have another card offering 0% with a big enough balance on to transfer the MBNA debt from. The Tesco card has the balance available but I don't have a 0% offer with them.
Barclays are offering me 0% for quite a while but the balance available is only about £1500.

What shall I do... I don't want to incur interest.
I thought I could transfer it to Tesco, then transfer it back but Id get charged 3%ish either end (£90ish).
Ive already resorted to paying fees to move it about just to get 0%, as even though my balance is increasing by doing so, Id rather that than pay interest :-/

My credit is good - I have a Ford loan I pay monthly too.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sashkie wrote: »
    I thought I could transfer it to Tesco, then transfer it back
    What's the point if only Tesco offer you 0% (on BTs or on purchases or both?)?
  • sashkie
    sashkie Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    im existing at tesco, havent got 0% there, otherwise id bung it straight over
    if i ring them and ask would they give me 0%?
  • sashkie
    sashkie Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    i phoned and asked and got 0% so panic over!
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    If you got MBNA to give you a 0% card while a student you could probably get most 0% offers from other providers

I got Amex Platinum and stoozed over £10K at 0% as a student from multiple banks, but could never get approved for an MBNA card for some reason, as a result I have avoided them after graduating... this may stop if they have a good miles offer though.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    zerog wrote: »
    If you got MBNA to give you a 0% card while a student you could probably get most 0% offers from other providers

I got Amex Platinum and stoozed over £10K at 0% as a student from multiple banks, but could never get approved for an MBNA card for some reason, as a result I have avoided them after graduating... this may stop if they have a good miles offer though.

How did you get 10k with Amex as a student?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure