Framing your finished masterpieces

Ainat
Ainat Posts: 115 Forumite
First Post
I have a few things kicking around that I would quite like to frame. Drawings and the like are quite easy, in that I can normally find a decent sized frame for the picture relatively easily, etc.

Cross stitches are harder. How do I go about getting them framed so that the fabric is stretched properly? I'm sure there used to be a craft shop near me that used to do it for you, but I don't think it's open anymore. Or if it is, how much they would charge for a framing service.

On a slightly more trickier note, there are some 'bookmark' cross stitch kits that I would quite like to order and complete (Christmas themed, they're in the sale, woop) but I actually think the 3 of them would go well together in a frame with an insert. I don't think I described that very well, something similar to THIS type of frame, just appropriate size for the bookmark stitches. Is this a feasible idea? I just think it would be something nice to have out at Christmas.
Save in 2014 Challenge: #193 £4,197.70/£5000

Comments

• PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to frame cross stitch by 'lacing' the back over a piece of card tightly enough to keep the fabric in position. If they are treasures you will want to source acid free card. You can also by 'mounts' for framing them within the frame. I did have some needlepoint pictures professionally framed once and it wasn't cheap but hey are still looking good on the wall over 15 years later.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
  • Ainat
    Ainat Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post
    Thank you for the advice. :-)

I might try and see if I can use your technique to frame some of the smaller cross stitches, but see if I can professionally frame a couple of the bigger ones...
    Save in 2014 Challenge: #193 £4,197.70/£5000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport