Dulux White Gloss

Options
13 months ago I painted the woodwork of a rented property with Dulux White gloss paint. The tenants have now moved out and all the woodwork is very yellow. The tenants were not smokers. I have just been down to Wickes and purchased a tin of Trade Dulux gloss which now I've opened it realised it is a liquid, which I don't normally like. Does anyone know the difference between the normal gloss and the trade gloss other than the trade is a liquid? D

Comments

• nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    Dulux has had a lot of problems with white paint yellowing due to new restrictions on the solvents they can use . i now try and use water based paints on most of my customers jobs , you don't get the high shine of a traditional gloss , but it does stay white , is easy to put on , doesn't smell and dries quickly , either johnstones aqua , or bedec aqua advance are a good alternative to gloss
  • FR_262
    FR_262 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this problem too. Especially in rooms that don't get much natural light. I've given up and now paint the woodwork in a pastel shade. Not magnolia though!
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We had exactly the same with Dulux gloss. Blame the idiots in Europe who changed the laws on the chemicals that can be used in gloss (to make it more environmentally friendly) - it was the bad chemicals that kept it white long-term.

You'll find that pro decorators always use gloss that is very liquid. They'll prime wood properly and do several thin layers, to get a better finish. That's why the trade gloss is so runny.

Dulux made a non-drip gloss that I used to prefer as it was easier for amateurs to work with. It was only non-drip because it was thicker.

You'll get a better finish with thin gloss, if you've got the patience to do the job properly. There's a knack to only applying it thinly so it doesn't run. :)

No difference other than the consistency.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just Googled to look up the Johnstone's paint and came upon a forum discussing yellowing paint.

The latest recommendation was Crown gloss (tin says no yellowing). Is this ok ?

Also, will silk emulsion, bought a few years ago, have gone off if the tins were never opened ?
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
    All this has come about in the 5 - 6 years. Paints have been dumbed down in the name of reduced solvent content/saving the plane.,

The ironic fact is that they no longer do what it says on the can.:D:D

White paint stays white for a week or 2 then shades to dirty cream.

Wickes non drip white was the paint I swore by for years, manufactured by dulux, (since changed), when I researched 10 years back.

But, they are all the same, reduced solvent content or water based, if you find 1 that doesn't yellow within weeks, please let me know.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • teddysmum
    Options
    On the forum I found people are going quite well on the Johnstone's aqua mentioned above.
  • Ionkontrol
    Options
    Get over the gloss. Use eggshell or satinwood as they do not yellow.
  • teddysmum
    edited 18 January 2014 at 8:06PM
    Options
    Ionkontrol wrote: »
    Get over the gloss. Use eggshell or satinwood as they do not yellow.

What is the difference between satinwood and eggshell ? I prefer a paint with a sheen as opposed to shine , anyway .

Can anyone answer my question about emulsion, please ? ie Will some bought a few years be ok, if the containers have not been opened ?
  • Pipkin
    Pipkin Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    Due to a bathroom renovation I'm currently reglossing the upstairs of the house. I'm using Dulux Professional Gloss, which at £14.99 for 2.5L is a bargain. Will it yellow? I don't know, no sign as of yet. I do know the house was professionally painted before we moved in (using Dulux I was told) and that the gloss has yellowed. Last year I did downstairs gloss, I used Dulux trade (which was about £16.99 for a litre I think), and it definitely has NOT yellowed, but those areas do receive a lot of light, upstairs not so much. So, glossing upstairs with the professional gloss is an experiment, but I thought at that price it was worth a try. I am fully prepared to gloss once a year, seems reasonable to me to keep things nice, chipped marked paintwork does my head in.
    M.A.C.A.W member number 39 :D

Those who are inclined to casual cruelty say that inside a fat girl is a thin girl and a lot of chocolate. Terry Pratchett
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I won't use oil based gloss unless a customer requests it as I have had too many call backs complaining the woodwork has turned yellow in just a couple of months. We only use satinwood now which doesn't yellow.

Dulux white gloss should be renamed 'White for a couple of months' Gloss.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure