Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    FD is my favourite KC - yes, you have to open a Current Account to get the Regular Saver but it's on line so very easy and apart from paying in 1k a month (and transferring out £700 the next day, leaving in the £300 to feed the saver) there are no requirements.

NWide Flex Direct is also an easy one. It's an interest paying current account - just bung in £2,500 and get 5% gross :T. Need to pay in 1k (and transfer all out the next day) each month.

You can of course set up Standing Orders to do all movements - I prefer to do manually for no real reason :o.
    Save
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    :wave: thank you all!

SSS, like RT my eyes have been opened to the concept of a sacrificial account by your post, thank you! That's seriously good.

Gally - yep, those were the two I thought were best. And I'm with you on doing things manually when they vary - like credit card bills, which can be so open to dispute (even the British Museum debited me twice for some tickets a few years ago!) but the money-go-round of keeping these accounts going, I think I'd do it by standing order - my web connection can be a bit dodgy occasionally, and I just *know* I'd come a cropper :p I'm chuffed you queried the ISA rate and brought in the concept of the current accounts, thank you again!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Okay. Actions:

- I found the application form for a basic bank account, just about to print that off, that will be a great sacrificial current account :):):)

- carrying on with getting the details of exactly what is contained in my pensions and stocks and shares isas. Hell on wheels, I can tell you :( Friends Life wouldn't let me log on and wouldn't send me a new password email, so I phoned Customer Services. I had a file containing all my log on details, security questions, the whole bit. But "I must have" logged on to the wrong bit of their website, all the heritage accounts are dealt with separately. So now I'm stuck, and still can't access anything online. Thats *my* money, you lot! I've managed to write it and send it in an email, which has at least been given a ticket number, my colleague is coming along for a meeting in a while, and I just can't face another phone convo about this right now.

Biiiiiig snack is needed, and I'll print out the basic bank account form. Sigh ......
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just stopped for a coffee - had a pack of those v filling breakfast biscuits. Yum! - so much better with a full tum!

On to boxes next :(
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Regular savers Z~~You can go off folk :rotfl:

Not really regular saving as such, but old savings doing the Conga through various accounts like a drunken wedding party...

In your case, unless you have a really good mortgage deal, you'd be best off over-paying.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Z - thing is, though, when I open a new current account, I don't want to close my old account :think: :question: so I need to figure out which is doable, in that situation. Is it TSB?

I opened my First Direct account when LLoyds-TSB were being half-wits with their fraud prevention scheming. I didn't close my Lloyds-TSB account, but still got the £100 (or whatever it was at the time)

I opened my TSB account (pre LLoyds-TSB) when Midland (yes, that much pre-Lloyds TSB) decided they wouldn't let me use my bank card abroad as a debit card. Didn't close that one either.
    Please read the FD terms, there used to be a monthly fee if paying in less than something like £2000pm, but this was waived if you held a savings account with them (£1 balance sufficient). May or may not still be the case, worth checking. Of course the attached regular saver is well worth signing up for while you're at it too :D

Don't forget, that for many accounts, it's how much you pay in per *month* (excluding other accounts in the banking group). So transferring £500 in one day into account A from account B, then out to account C the next day, then to account B, then onwards to account A does actually look like a transfer of £1000 that month... :whistle:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh garden guru - any tips for a newly discovered horsetail invasion? :(
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Oh garden guru - any tips for a newly discovered horsetail invasion? :(
    Oh Ed! Sorry to hear this. I've not suffered it myself, but I looked at some linkies in case. First thing I always go to is RHS, which even has product advice, unusually:
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=257

There's quite a few herbal websites advising on how to use it medicinally, but the only other one about *control* is this: https://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.uk/cms/tips-and-advice/tips-for-success/pests-diseases-weeds/horsetail/

The picture looks like its a different plant, or maybe in a different growth stage.

Wyevale talk about weakening it by hoeing - but to my mind, that would spread bits of root around and make new plants! I wouldn't shallow hoe. I'd use a systemic weedkiller (I've done that on sedge, and on tree shoots that I missed from the previous year) you have to be careful about targetting only that plant (cut the bottom off a milk jug and upend it, use it like a collar to protect nearby plants, if you like) but its very effective. Deep digging could help, or even just pulling up the edges while you go for the jugular at the centre with the systemic weedkiller?

Let me know - I'm always interested in this stuff, as you know :beer:

There is one other thing - our attitude, accepting that we can't control this stuff 100%, it's a live system, it's just not possible to have total control over it. At best, it's management. Sorry!
    Save
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Achieved yesterday
    1. My email to Friends Life hasn't been answered yet. Ho so not hum.

2. Finally set a date to go back to Merseyside later this month to finalise probate scheming and distribute some of the dosh.

3. Had another little bonfire last night, though the weather was quite hot already.

4. Met with my colleague, another meet set up and Games Evening potential dates sussed. We're going to let one of our ex-clients, who is now an accredited therapist herself, inherit our work domain, if she wants it :hello:

Necessary to achieve today
    a. pest control guy is coming round at 5pm - make sure he has access everywhere he needs.

b. post blog.

c. withdraw from the isa I picked up earlier this week.

d. sacrificial current account form has been filled in, but original docs (passport etc) are needed - get that package ready, so I can go to city-on-the-seaside tomorrow, its my nearest branch, and means I won't have to send them in the post. Think of other stuff I can do there or buy there, I don't go very often these days.

d. cook beans in slow cooker, maybe use dehydrator too.

e. another bonfire, if there's no washing out nearby.

f. not much more to do on evacuee letters, so work on those, then back up computer.
    Save
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    c. withdraw from the isa I picked up earlier this week.
    Yes - needed 3 phone calls to do it! Post Office will phone me back when money is back under their control (I think ... ) she'll phone me back anyway, and I'll open an easy access online isa - that allows withdrawals, so I can feed that money in to the Regular Saver(s) as and when.
    d. sacrificial current account form has been filled in, but original docs (passport etc) are needed - get that package ready, so I can go to city-on-the-seaside tomorrow, its my nearest branch, and means I won't have to send them in the post.
    Phoned up to check I'm eligible - don't think I am, and was offered face to face appointment to sort my needs :eek: ug, complete freakout, I withdrew. Sacrificial account can't be a basic account, it'll have to be a more or less normal one.
    Save
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, any form of digging would seem to be a no no, as that makes the plant root more! Systemic weed killers like glycophosphate are also apparently useless. It would appear that all I can do is nip all sprouting shoots as soon as they appear and mess up its photosynthesis.

Apparently it survived the last ice age and was around with the dinosaurs :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure