We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Automatics: Who's had a brand new one?

2»

Comments

  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    This is what I'm talking about people. What is the difference? New cars off the forecourt don't make the same noise as older ones which moan and groan. Change the discs and pads and you get the high pitched squeel too. So how to the manufacturers do it?

    I've driven autos for decades and none of them have ever done it. My current car is now 14 years old and doesn't do it. I've had it from new and it's never done it.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    I have had automatics since 1989, nearly all of them new, and have never come across this problem.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Stop creeping forward, and apply the brakes harder, later, that should fix it.
  • B00st
    B00st Posts: 78 Forumite
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    It's just the pads groaning against the discs as said. That's what happens when friction material meets metal plate.

    I'll wager that brand new cars don't do it because they haven't yet had a chance to put a proper layer of friction material onto the discs - they're still bare metal. Once you've used them and put them through several proper heat cycles, you end up with a thin coating of the friction material on the disc face, which improves braking performance but will make them groan a bit.

    Just don't let the car creep forwards on the brakes. Once you've stopped, put it into neutral and put the handbrake on.

    If the auto is a DSG type box then they will go into neutral automatically if the car is held on the foot brake.

    Torque converter autos should be left in drive unless it is clear that the traffic won't be moving for quite some considerable time. Constantly moving them from drive to neutral and back isn't good for them.
  • djcat
    djcat Posts: 77 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I had five automatics, three of them in the US (where 99% seems to be like that). Advice I got was "don't put it out of D when stopped". Automatics are no manuals, they were made to handle all sorts of driving conditions, including red lights and traffic jams. If you damage the gearbox, that certainly is more expensive than a set of new brake pads.

    Only get it out of D if you need to change gears e.g. reverse or going down a steep hill and you want the engine braking.

    I don't mind manuals, but I really like my automatics.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.