MSE News: Worried about energy bills? Six steps to help you cope

Options
"Turn2us has launched a campaign with six key steps to help people on low incomes manage their energy bills..."
Read the full story:

Worried about energy bills? Six steps to help you cope

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,006 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not a single mention of taking regular meter reads and either passing them to the supplier and / or calculating the bill yourself so it does not come as a surprise.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd agree with Molerat, there's more emphasis on claiming benefits & grants than making sure you know what you are using, budgeting and paying for it
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Not a single mention of taking regular meter reads and either passing them to the supplier and / or calculating the bill yourself so it does not come as a surprise.
    This is the no1 thing that could stop a lot of the 'bill shock' that people frequently come on the forums to moan about.

Why it is not highlighted more frequently is beyond me.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I update my readings every month, might be a little later but even so it deducts what is in credit and allows me to ensure my dd is sufficient without a massive shock. This is with edf energy.
  • karmix
    karmix Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, meter readings each month, updated online if possible - these give you a really clear idea whether your direct debits are accurate or not. It also gives you the opportunity to keep an eye on whether your usage is higher than it should be - and rectify quickly!
    Switching companies works too - I have just switched to Ovo Energy and I love their clear website, bills and communications.....a refreshing change :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure