We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit cards in Russia.....

Although the article is quite old, a quick search suggests this hasn't been posted before. I must say, I have to admire this guy for taking it as far as it's gone!

See link below!

CK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/creditcards/10231556/Man-who-created-own-credit-card-sues-bank-for-not-sticking-to-terms.html
💙💛 💔

Comments

  • What a loser
    "Can't you have your ***** cut off ?" "It's not as simple as that, Nigel"
    :j
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    All sounds a bit silly, think I'd avoid dealing with that bank at least.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    bigadaj wrote: »
    ... I'd avoid dealing with that bank at least.
    Why? How is that bank special?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,134
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    Why? How is that bank special?

    Exactly!

    I'd take a punt that this wouldn't be the only bank to fall for it, and due to the way things are scanned, it wouldn't surprise me if you could do this in the UK!

    Please note: I'm not saying you should.
    💙💛 💔
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I think in UK they don't send a signed copy back to you. You can forge only the copy that you sign and send to the bank. I think a UK court will see this a clear fraud as you sign not what you are asked to sign.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,134
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    grumbler wrote: »
    I think in UK they don't send a signed copy back to you. You can forge only the copy that you sign and send to the bank. I think a UK court will see this a clear fraud as you sign not what you are asked to sign.

    That may be a point, however I'd view it as the bank should read what they're agreeing to before allowing the card to be sent out, thus not cancelling the contract, but at the same time not leaving it at a point where it can be used for that purpose.

    I doubt there's any case law on this, so either (or possibly both) of our interpretations could be correct.
    💙💛 💔
  • wiseshark
    wiseshark Posts: 288 Forumite
    I would imagine fairly soon all banks and credit cards companies will be writing a new clause in to their T&C to avoid it happening again and any tampering of the paper work will result in fraud.
    You may question anything I say. Just be polite, otherwise you go straight on to my Ignore List, which funds a good old fashioned knees-up every Xmas. Cheers;)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.