What is Category D repaired - used car

Options
13»

Comments

• Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cat C normally needs a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) although you might get away with it if the insurer hasnt told DVLA about it.

Unsure about whether it needs MOT'd again or not, I was looking for motorbike info at the time but stopped when I found out bikes dont need VIC's

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/buyingandsellingavehicle/adviceonbuyingandsellingavehicle/dg_4022107
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ......Has a full MOT but guess this will have to be redone.

My question is is it worth me asking the insurer to keep the car what are my legal requirements to use the car again and likely costs........

Original Tax & MOT remain valid until normal expiry

CAT C needs a VIC (identity check) before you can get a new logbook or renew the tax (so hang on to the current logbook).

CAT D needs nothing and so you can just keep on using it as normal.

Insurance: Normally they don't care hence the lack of questions about write off status on proposal forms but there are a couple of companies that exclude cover in their "general assumptions" or T&C so read your policy docs to make sure your company isn't one that does
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Both Cat D and Cat C cars can be repaired to be fully roadworthy.
    Cat C can often need the chassis straightening (the kind of thing you see in some of the TV car restoration programmes).
    The Cat C & D write-off just means that the insurance company thinks the cost of repairs is too high; for example if the air bags have gone off a bumper is damaged, and some panels are scratched. By the time you've got the parts, the paint (metallic is expensive) and paid for an approved repairer's (or main dealer's) time, it's a hefty bill.
    But the thing about Cat C&D is that it is a statement that all of the problems are repairable, and you can probably get it done cheaper than the approved repairers.
    Insurance companies don't particularly card about whether a car has been a Cat C/D write off, so long as it is roadworthy.
    I have a Cat C repaired car and it is a very nice drive.
  • Pica-pica_2
    Options
    I ran off the road and banged the driver's side door and door sill. The floor-pan is unaffected but I knew that the insurer would write it off so I haven't put in a claim. I can get a proper repair done more cheaply (for me) than taking the insurance company's valuation and writing the car off, then facing higher premiums for 5 years.
    Does the car still have to be declared a Cat-C or Cat-D and if so, who makes that decision? Is it only an insurance company that can make that declaration? Or does the repairer make that declaration?
    I seem to be falling between several stools here! I think I need help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure