London's Oyster discount with a railcard

Remember to register your Oyster card with your Railcard to get 34% off off-peak TfL rail (and National rail in London) single fares and the daily cap!

Most of my peers seem shocked when I tell them they can save money on small journeys in London not just on the long distance ones!

Comments

• This is true - all the students I know in London swear by it. Once you get your national railcard (one year or three I think?) you simply present it at a main underground ticket office and they will issue you with or link a new Oystercard to it on the spot so you can be getting your discount within minutes :money:

Not sure if the discount structure changes on 19th January 2014 when the fares go up generally, but as it is so easy to link the two cards it is almost a no-brainer.
    From the late great Tommy Cooper: "He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.' "
  • This is true - all the students I know in London swear by it. Once you get your national railcard (one year or three I think?) you simply present it at a main underground ticket office and they will issue you with or link a new Oystercard to it on the spot so you can be getting your discount within minutes :money:

Not sure if the discount structure changes on 19th January 2014 when the fares go up generally, but as it is so easy to link the two cards it is almost a no-brainer.

They don't give you a new oyster(unless you want to pay another £5 deposit!), they just add the discount to your current oyster( I used to have a 16+ oyster combined with the Railcard discount!
  • TurnUpForTheBooks_2
    TurnUpForTheBooks_2 Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 14 January 2014 at 5:40PM
    They don't give you a new oyster(unless you want to pay another £5 deposit!), they just add the discount to your current oyster( I used to have a 16+ oyster combined with the Railcard discount!
    Quite so! - Sorry I was trying to cover both eventualities by saying "link it to existing or issue a new" but as you see it came out wrong :p

Any idea if there is a tfl.gov.uk fares page for post 19.1.2014 fares that shows the new levels of discount ? I had a quick look but couldn't find the sort of comnparison page I thought I'd seen previously.
    From the late great Tommy Cooper: "He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.' "
  • Quite so! - Sorry I was trying to cover both eventualities by saying "link it to existing or issue a new" but as you see it came out wrong :p

Any idea if there is a tfl.gov.uk fares page for post 19.1.2014 fares that shows the new levels of discount ? I had a quick look but couldn't find the sort of comnparison page I thought I'd seen previously.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-dlr-lo-railcard-fares-jan-2014.pdf

Here it is in a table form!
  • Does the rail card discount apply to TFl london tube travel cards / pay as you go travel.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Not sure about the travelcards; but it does appaly to pay as you go.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It doesn't apply to travelcards, but it will reduce your daily cap by 34% - generally making it a bit cheaper than using a full price travel card.
  • Michelle6 wrote: »
    Does the rail card discount apply to TFl london tube travel cards / pay as you go travel.
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Not sure about the travelcards; but it does appaly to pay as you go.
    callum9999 wrote: »
    It doesn't apply to travelcards, but it will reduce your daily cap by 34% - generally making it a bit cheaper than using a full price travel card.

It DOES apply to DAILY travelcards (no discount on weekly or longer travelcards unfortunately)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure