Closing Lloyds credit card

Options
pjread
pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Perhaps I'm simply distrustful, but I called Lloyds to cancel my platinum card as I haven't used it for well over a year. I was told "it's been closed but will show in internet banking etc for 6 months". As far as I can see, it's active and I could e.g. transfer a balance to it.

This seems slightly odd to me - does anyone have experience to corroborate this, or was this a case of call centre retentions person wanting to fiddle their stats? I might well want a balance transfer from Lloyds in around a year so wanted a 'clean slate' by then, so don't want to be duped... (I suppose this may be karma as I previously worked for them, but it seems it was in another life and certainly wasn't in the same field!)

Comments

• Rosco32
    Rosco32 Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you check you credit files to see if its showing closed/settled?
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    pjread wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm simply distrustful, but I called Lloyds to cancel my platinum card as I haven't used it for well over a year. I was told "it's been closed but will show in internet banking etc for 6 months". As far as I can see, it's active and I could e.g. transfer a balance to it.

This seems slightly odd to me - does anyone have experience to corroborate this, or was this a case of call centre retentions person wanting to fiddle their stats? I might well want a balance transfer from Lloyds in around a year so wanted a 'clean slate' by then, so don't want to be duped... (I suppose this may be karma as I previously worked for them, but it seems it was in another life and certainly wasn't in the same field!)

If the balance is fully paid off and you really have no interest in ever using it again, I can't see any benefit in Lloyds keeping the account open.

If you want a belt & braces approach, send a recorded letter to them instructing them to close the account immediately if not already done so. Keep a copy of the recorded delivery confirmation.

But if you think you might want to do a BT to Lloyds in a year or so, why close the account? They may not offer you credit if you apply again, or if they do the limit may be less than you currently have.
  • pjread
    Options
    Not as of yesterday (I only called to close on Thursday, I think most lenders update CRA's monthly? Used to in my day, but that was 10+ years ago and may all have changed...)

Basically looking to see if anyone can corroborate or has had theirs closed on request and show as such, either way.
  • pjread
    edited 13 January 2014 at 7:00PM
    Options
    [QUOTE=Aquamania;[URL="tel:[URL="tel:64360611"]64360611[/URL]"][URL="tel:64360611"]64360611[/URL][/URL]]If the balance is fully paid off and you really have no interest in ever using it again, I can't see any benefit in Lloyds keeping the account open.

If you want a belt & braces approach, send a recorded letter to them instructing them to close the account immediately if not already done so. Keep a copy of the recorded delivery confirmation.

But if you think you might want to do a BT to Lloyds in a year or so, why close the account? They may not offer you credit if you apply again, or if they do the limit may be less than you currently have.[/QUOTE]
    Oh they will I expect, I'm on the "throw credit at this guy if he shows any interest" list, pre-approved 25k loan and 19k cc limit if what I oversaw last time I was in branch is still accurate. (admittedly a few months ago)

I'll only be interested in a BT if it's a pre-approved "new customer" deal with a decent length/fee - no interest in 6 months at 3% fee, I could get a loan for less than that and I currently don't carry a balance... but 24+ months might be handy next year as I anticipate a slight build up (probably only 5-10k)
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Options
    If I remember correctly Lloyds and TSB show the account online for 6 months to let you check over statements etc.
  • sscott5581
    Options
    Yes my closed and settled Lloyds credit card was viewable via online banking for sometime afterwards.
  • pjread
    Options
    If I remember correctly Lloyds and TSB show the account online for 6 months to let you check over statements etc.
    Great, thanks gents!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport