Still No Survey??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
5 replies 822 views
MAYFLOWERSMAYFLOWERS Forumite
122 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi

I am in the process of buying a house and selling my own - I accepted an offer on the 24th of March from a guy who had also accepted an offer on his house. The survey for the house I am buying was done one week later..however I am still waiting for the survey to be done on my present house even though I was told three and a half weeks ago it should be happening very soon.

I have called the Estate Agent today who says the guy has a few issues with his mortgage which their financial advisor is looking after but it should be done very soon!!!

Is this a long time...I am getting a little concerned!

Replies

• I would also be getting concerned in your position. A month has passed and he hasn't even arranged a date for the survey to be done, this could usually be arranged and completed within a fortnight just as you have done.

It would appear that he is reluctant to lay out the money for this survey in case he doesn't proceed with the purchase, and is keeping his options open for as long as possible. If he was seriously committed he would be getting the survey under way.

I think it would be a good idea to get back to the estate agent and ask them to let him know that you are going to set a date by which he must get things moving, after which time you will put the house back on the market. Give him one week at the most to sort it.

I have experienced a lot of time wasters, and there comes a time when you just have to call a halt to their dithering.

Let us know how you get on.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly the survey is carried out on behalf of the mortgage company.

If he has not got a mortgage offer on the table. Then no survey will take place.

What I don't understand is why 3 and half weeks later he has no mortgage in place. We had with in 5 days of the offer being accepted we had a mortgage.

It would be better if everyone had there mortgage pre-arranged and you had to prove it to the EA before you started looking at properties. That would cut down time wasters.

An average time to buy a house is about 12 weeks. So some take longer and some take shorter. I think we did ours in about 10 weeks. Would have been shorter by a few weeks. But that is another story.

Don't think you need to worry yet. but do keep in constant contact with your solictor and the EA.

All the best.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • zzzLazyDaisyzzzLazyDaisy Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    get back to the estate agent and ask them to let him know that you are going to set a date by which he must get things moving, after which time you will put the house back on the market. Give him one week at the most to sort it..

Excellent advice. When I sold my flat, the purchaser (FTB M'gage provisionally approved, supposedly) kept me hanging around for 6 weeks and still no survey despite numerous telephone calls. This did include two May bank holidays, and her being on 2 weeks' holiday but eventually both my solicitor and the estate agent advised me to put it back on the market - she was notified of this and, lo and behold, the surveyor contacted me the next day, and the sale went through without a hitch after that.

It may be the buyer is hedging his bets and still looking round (I think that is what was happening with mine) but even if the difficulties are genuine, do you really want to turn away prospective viewers in today's market?

I would be very firm about this, if he doesn't make a move within the week, I'd tell the EA to resume actively marketing the property.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • dougk_2dougk_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    I would contact the estate agent and insist that the potential (as that is what he is) must sort out his mortgage and get the survey done in the next 7-10 days otherwise you will withdraw acceptance of his offer.

I would ask the estate agent to remarket your property from now to get interest in your property should the worst happen.

Having been in exactly the same situation after 6 weeks the buyer pulled out as 2 lenders refused his application.

You need to get replacement buyers online now.
  • MAYFLOWERSMAYFLOWERS Forumite
    122 Posts
    Hi

Made a call to the Estate Agent on Thurs..got same story ..it will be done soon!! Then on friday I had a call from the buyers Mortgage Lender to make
    an appointment for a survey to be done on Tuesday!!

Hopefully things will start moving now!

Thnaks everyone for the advice :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs