🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bill from neighbours for tree damage

Options

Comments

• *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Guess I'm the only one who thought this was about Bill, a character in the show Neighbours. :o
  • Heffi1
    Heffi1 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I would be inclined to say to the neighbours as there is such a danger of the trees falling, now some have been removed, you have decided to have them all removed and a small fence erected on the boundary line, !!!!!! the fact he wants his privacy, say you are thinking of his safety.

sit back and watch, I certainly would not be handing over any cash, who is to say that you actually have that sort of money to pay a bill.

Times are tough, suggest you can pay it in instalments if he insists and, that having looked at your budget you could stretch to a fiver a month.

There is absolutely nothing he can do about it, apart from take you to court, and I doubt that would happen when you say you have not been adequately informed of what is happening along the way.
    :) Been here for a long time and don't often post
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is his boundary line and he said tody he wants to put a 6ft fence up which is fine by us.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd send them a polite letter saying that although you understood that the trees needed removing, you also had a business contact who would have removed the trees the same day for £300, and as they failed to notify you of the damage and give you chance to rectify the situation, you are therefore only willing to pay £300 for the work done, and to please see the attached quotes.

Did they leave you the wood for firewood?? (Or is it no good for burning? )
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    betsie wrote: »
    It is his boundary line and he said tody he wants to put a 6ft fence up which is fine by us.

As long as he pays for it and doesn't try to present you with a bill afterwards!!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The wood is in his garden, he said a family member is having it.
  • Lieja
    Lieja Posts: 466 Forumite
    Options
    The wood is in his garden, he said a family member is having it.

I'd be tempted to tell him to consider the wood as payment! Cheeky !!!!!!.
  • kiddy_guy
    Options
    Hold on a second.

If it's his boundary line, his trees, then his cost.

If not, that wood is yours (and bear in mind that seasoned wood is worth £65+ per bulb bag for burning in the log burner).

I'd still not pay a penny though.
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But surely that's your wood ?
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One tree had completely fallen across their front garden so that did have to be removed that morning and the other 3 would also have had to go within a couple of days as the roots were quite lifted.

So we accept that the trees had to go, we are just not happy they did it without giving us a chance to sort it out ourselves and they used a very expensive tree firm (who were family friends!).

But not before he had been round to speak to you!

By offering the £300 you are being exceptionally reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport