DVD Player won't play .mp4 files?

Options
Bought a DVD Player with a USB socket on the front.

According to the box, it plays MP4 files.

I tried it and it on a .mp4 file, but it won't play it, although it does play plain old mpeg files.

Any ideas?

Is there, possibly, more than one kind of MP4 file?

Can anyone recommend a free video converter, that will output in plain old mpeg, without inserting an imprint on the video?

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MP4 is a container file format, so you can encode the audio and video using different codecs. Perhaps your DVD player only works with certain codecs?

It looks like you might be able to use VLC Media Player to transcode the audio/video to create a file that your DVD player should be able to read: https://wiki.videolan.org/MPEG-4
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, .mp4 is really just a file extension. It can contain a number of actual video and audio compression codecs, so if the player isn't hardwired to decode them, you could be out of luck. Check the manual for actual playable formats (things like .h264)

Beware that transcoding (from one format to another) is one of the most intensive tasks you can ask your computer to do. It's not uncommon for it to take several times the length of the videos to do it. Best left to run overnight in a batch, in my experience, unless you have a very powerful computer. Quality also suffers each time you transcode.

It may be quicker to "find" and re-download the videos in a playable format.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Bought a DVD Player with a USB socket on the front.

According to the box, it plays MP4 files.

I tried it and it on a .mp4 file, but it won't play it, although it does play plain old mpeg files.

Any ideas?

Is there, possibly, more than one kind of MP4 file?

Can anyone recommend a free video converter, that will output in plain old mpeg, without inserting an imprint on the video?

Try Format Factory - which is a free download at http://www.pcfreetime.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm glad I didn't buy a full version of AVS Video Converter, as I planned to do.

My new Notebook has Cyberlink Media Suite, which converts video files. :)
  • sekrapa
    sekrapa Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Does it say it will play MPEG 1/2/3/4? If so, this is not .mp4 files but .mpeg files, different codec. I have a small media player that will not play .mp4 extensions, but is happy with .avi and .mpeg files.
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 March 2015 at 11:38AM
    Options
    I use free DVD Flick which has converted any video I have thrown at it into DVD format (MPEG-2) and which will also burn the conversion to a blank DVD.

Review here.

Alternatively, depending on your TV's spec, copy the MP4 video to a USB stick and play it through the TV'S USB port without any need for conversion. Works with my Panasonic anyway.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    Two good freeware tools for video format conversion are handbrake and avidemux.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Pazera do a whole range of free programs for converting video from one format into another. They're not the most user friendly, but they work and don't require installation.

I have a media player box, Freecom MP450 (getting old now), it's supposed to play MP4, but I have to convert MP4 to AVI to get them to play.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • tavernman
    tavernman Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    Wake up guys , a newbie promoting a paid for program on a 1 year old thread it came out of a tin :spam:
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    :spam:

You know what to do people. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts